A convicted carjacker was caught with a knife in a Plymouth pub, a court heard.
Simon Eltringham, aged 39, handed over the blade in the Stonehouse bar but later smashed a window when he was thrown out.
He faced jail because he has a previous conviction for a knife offence – when he threatened a woman and sped off in his car.
But a judge told him that he would not impose a custodial sentence because of his personal circumstances five years after his conviction for robbery.
Judge Robert Linford said: “People are very concerned about people who walk around with knives.”
Eltringham, of Embankment Road, Prince Rock, pleaded guilty to possession of a bladed article at the Clarence pub on May 28.
He also admitted causing criminal damage to the window in Clarence Place.
Eltringham was jailed for four years and eight months in 2014 for the knifepoint robbery in Kent.
Bathsheba Cassell, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said he was in the pub with a friend at about 8pm when the landlady saw he had a small knife.
She added the licensee challenged Eltringham, who said: “It’s my knife, I just want to go back to prison.”
Miss Cassell added that he nevertheless handed the knife over.
But she said that he became “sweary” and abusive towards other customers and was escorted from the pub.
The barrister added: “He became even more angry and punched a large glass pane in the pub window, which shattered.”
The court heard that it cost £123 to repair.
Ali Rafati, for Eltringham, said that he did not brandish nor threaten anyone with the knife.
He added: “He handed it over when asked, there was no nonsense.”
Latest cases heard by Plymouth Crown Court
Judge Linford, having read a probation report, said Eltringham was trying to sort out the problems in his life with help from different agencies.
The defendant was handed a six-month jail sentence, suspended for two years.
He was ordered to do 100 hours unpaid work with probation’s Rehabilitation Activity Requirement.
Eltringham must pay for the cost of replacing the window.
- Bizarre antics of man who pulled out knife in Plymouth pub
- Former soldier faces jail for threatening woman with knife at pub
- Angry knifeman threatened to cut up Plymouth pub bouncers
- Jealous former serviceman pulled knife on Plymouth pub bouncer
- Thug jailed for 'horrifying attack' outside Plymouth pub
- Plymouth pub knifeman walks free despite another weapon offence
- Knife-attack pub gets last-minute chance
- Face of knife monster who caused hell after downing Prosecco
- The people 'getting away' with knife crime on our streets