Ongoing traffic issues around Ysgol Gynradd Aberaeron require an increasingly urgent solution, a town councillor has warned.
Cllr Rhodri Jones said problems in Wellington Street caused by vehicles at drop-off times in the morning and pick-up times in the afternoon were steadily worsening.
And he called on the town council to be ‘proactive’ by working with Ceredigion County Council and Tai Ceredigion Housing Association in a bid to find the answer.
“School pupil numbers have gone up by 50 to about 230,” Cllr Jones told colleagues. “There has also been a huge increase in the number of residents of Wellington Street.
“The problem of traffic is most acute at collection time and drop-off time.
“Is there any way we could work with Ceredigion County Council and Tai Ceredigion to find a solution to what I feel is becoming a very serious problem?”
Cllr Jones suggested that a ‘natural line’ into the county council headquarters at Penmorfa could be converted into a circular route for traffic.
“As a town council we really do need to highlight this and put pressure on the powers-that-be to work with stakeholders towards some form of solution, not just for local schoolchildren but for the residents as well,” he said.
Cllr Darryl Evans identified ‘going home time’ as the peak period for traffic chaos.
“Drop-off time is never a problem because everyone comes at different times,” he said.
Cllr Neris Lloyd said she found the speed of some vehicles frightening.
“Some cars swing in so quickly when there are tiny tots crossing – it puts the fear of God into me,” she added.
See this week’s South Ceredigion paper for the full story, available in shops and as a digital edition now
Also in the news
- Eufaula Primary School Receives State Grant to Set Up Chicken Coop for Students
- Providence School Shooting: Student Shot, Killed Outside High School
- 2 dead, 3 injured in shootings outside high school football games in 3 states
- Panel eyes Broward deputy's actions during Parkland high school massacre
- Atlanta International School Doubles Primary School Size, Adds Mandarin Chinese
- Pressure Cooker Found Outside Meriden School Is Detonated
- Toasted pumpkin seeds cause small fire at Arkansas primary school, firefighters say
- Shootings outside high school football games leave two dead
- Boy arrested in shooting of teen outside Denver school
- Local leaders react to deadly shooting outside Providence school