Boris Johnson has been strongly criticised for arguing Islam has caused the Muslim world to be “literally centuries behind” the west, in an essay unearthed by the Guardian. Writing about the rise of the religion in an appendix added to a later edition of The Dream of Rome, his 2006 book about the Roman empire, Johnson said there was something about Islam that hindered development in parts of the globe and, as a result, “Muslim grievance” was a factor in virtually every conflict. Johnson’s argument was described as disconcerting and problematic by Tell Mama, which monitors anti-Muslim hate and said he had demonstrated a lack of understanding of the religion. The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) said many people would like to know if the favourite to become the next prime minister still believed “Islam inherently inhibits the path to progress and freedom”. Last year, Johnson was accused of dog-whistle politics after he used a Telegraph column to liken women wearing the burqa to “letter boxes” and “bank robbers”. In an essay titled And Then Came the Muslims, added to the 2007 edition of his book, Johnson wrote: “There must be something about Islam that indeed helps to explain why… Read full this story
- Muslim Cleric and 17 Worshippers Killed by Extremists for Playing Music During Religious Services
- Burma doubles down on claims to justify treatment of Rohingya minority
- ISIS Gone? Trump Claims Group is Defeated But One Year After Losing Iraq, It's Hanging on in Syria
- Saudi Media Defends Donald Trump by Attacking Progressive Muslim-American Politicians With Racism, Conspiracy Theories
- Russia's Not To Blame For Trump Fans' Anti-Muslim Terror Plot, Judge Says At Sentencing
- 'My Family Threatens to Kill Me,' Asylum-Seeking Saudi Woman Says After Denouncing Islam
- Russia Says U.S. Leaving Syria 'Step in the Right Direction' But Condemns Its Wars 'Around the World'
- China Prepares for 'Period of Major Change Never Seen in a Century' In 2019 New Year's Speech
- There is Nothing Inevitable About Dictatorships in Muslim States
- Arkansas State Senator Has History Of Spewing Anti-Muslim Propaganda
Boris Johnson claimed Islam put Muslim world 'centuries behind' have 330 words, post on www.theguardian.com at July 15, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.