Christal Hayes USA TODAY Published 12:10 AM EDT Jul 18, 2019 WASHINGTON — Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan is set to face a grilling on Capitol Hill today when he appears before a congressional panel eager to question him about overcrowded migrant detention facilities and other issues encircling his department. He is expected to be questioned by members of the House Oversight and Reform Committee on the separation of migrant children from their families, conditions at the detention centers and a secret Facebook group where border agents mocked the deaths of migrants and lawmakers. The hearing is the latest in a series held by House Democrats in recent weeks targeting the administration’s immigration policies, putting a spotlight on migrants who died in U.S. custody, the children separated from their parents when entering the country and the rapidly deteriorating conditions in detention centers. McAleenan’s testimony also comes just days after Vice President Mike Pence toured two migrant facilities in Texas, an air-conditioned center for families and children and a severely overcrowded facility holding adult men, where migrants complained they hadn’t showered in weeks and slept on concrete floors. ‘Disturbing’ Facebook posts: Border agents investigated over posts ridiculing immigrants, lawmakers ‘They tore out a piece… Read full this story
- Bush, Obama, Trump officials: Acting DHS chief Kevin McAleenan has great demeanor, good counter to Trump
- Kevin McAleenan, New Acting Head of Homeland Security: 10 Things You Must Know
- David Pekoske, Kevin McAleenan most likely to replace DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen
- Kevin McAleenan, Top U.S. Border Enforcement Officer, Is Named Acting Head of Homeland Security
- Kevin McAleenan To Become New Acting Homeland Security Chief
- Kirstjen Nielsen Out at Homeland Security, Kevin McAleenan Will Step In
- Who Is Kevin McAleenan, The Upcoming Leader Of Homeland Security?
- Kevin McAleenan, new acting DHS boss, has long record in border security
- Former ICE acting director discusses what Kevin McAleenan can accomplish as acting DHS boss
- Next DHS Secretary should be Kevin McAleenan, former CBP Chief Mark Morgan says
Border: DHS head Kevin McAleenan testifies on migrant facilities have 332 words, post on eu.usatoday.com at July 1, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.