Boxing legend Ricky Hatton believes times have now changed in terms of popularity in the heavyweight division.
After Anthony Joshua’s shock loss to Andy Ruiz Jr, Hatton now reckons Tyson Fury would win a popularity contest with fans as he prepares for his June 15 clash with Tom Schwarz.
Fury, who trains at Hatton’s gym in Manchester, made a stunning comeback last year and won over supporters with his dramatic draw against Deontay Wilder in Los Angeles.
Fans have grown frustrated with Joshua’s inability to make fights with either Fury or Wilder prior to his stunning defeat at Madison Square Garden.
And Hatton reckons Joshua is losing momentum as Fury’s career goes from strength to strength both inside and outside the ring.
Hatton told the Daily Star: “You have to look at it in contrast, Tyson Fury’s debut in America was Deontay Wilder, and Joshua’s is Ruiz.
“Anthony has all the belts, all the aces, but I think Tyson Fury is probably more popular now, even though he hasn’t got the belts because of the courageous performance and courage he showed, and the willing to fight.
“I feel like I’m picking on Anthony a little bit here, and I’m not, he’s done our country so proud.
“I just think, as a simple boxing fan, which I am, if I wasn’t a boxer I’d still be a boxing fan, I just feel he’s, not left behind, but I think he’s losing his momentum.”
Fury is set for a rematch with Wilder after what is expected to be a routine fight against Schwarz next weekend.
Promoter Bob Arum revealed that he could be set for a trilogy with Wilder with plans already in place for a third fight.
“There are a lot of good heavyweights who have had trilogies. This would be a trilogy,” Arum told World Boxing News .
“The percentages will change, as in the winner would get more on that third fight, than the loser. It’s all based on who wins the second fight.”
- Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua would be England's biggest sporting event since 1966 World Cup
- Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua’s dominance of heavyweight division will end soon, Floyd Mayweather predicts
- Deontay Wilder told not to be 'selfish' and let Tyson Fury face Anthony Joshua
- Frank Warren promises to deliver Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua
- Frank Warren discusses Eddie Hearn rivalry as Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua clash targeted
- Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua could fight twice for four world titles
- Tyson Fury taunts Anthony Joshua and insists ‘how can he be the champion when he hasn’t beaten THE champion?’
- Eddie Hearn hits back at claims he's lying over Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua talks
- Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua debate: Who wins heavyweight showdown?
- Floyd Mayweather predicts unknown boxer will break Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua's dominance
- Frank Warren admits Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua will likely be in Saudi Arabia
- David Haye admits he was wrong about Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder
- Tyson Fury's message to Anthony Joshua ahead of potential undisputed fight
- Tyson Fury confirms he’ll retire after Wilder rematch and Joshua fight as he reveals ‘anti-climax’ following title bouts
- Boxing: Anthony Joshua fires warning shots at Tyson Fury
- Anthony Joshua advantage in Fury fight as footage of trainer Rob McCracken in Gypsy King’s corner on debut bout emerges
- Dillian Whyte adamant he deserves shot at Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder’s WBC strap BEFORE Anthony Joshua
- Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev won't be in the UK, claims challenger's promoter
- Tony Bellew explains how Anthony Joshua could benefit from a Fury-Wilder trilogy fight
- Tyson Fury's wife Paris begs him to quit boxing after Anthony Joshua fight
Tyson Fury now 'more popular than Anthony Joshua', claims Ricky Hatton have 616 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at June 9, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.