With grins and handshakes, President Donald Trump welcomed North Korea’s Kim Jong Un at the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone Sunday, seeking to revive talks on the pariah nation’s nuclear program in a bid for a legacy-defining accord.
Trump then became the first American leader to step into North Korea.
The brief photo-op, another historic first in the yearlong rapprochement between the two technically warring nations, marks a return to face-to-face contact between the leaders since talks broke down during a summit in Vietnam in February.
But it does little to erase significant doubts that remain about the future of the negotiations and the North’s willingness to give up its stockpile of nuclear weapons.
Trump’s brief crossing into North Korean territory marked the latest milestone in two years of roller-coaster diplomacy between the two nations, as personal taunts of “little rocket man” and threats to destroy the other have been ushered out by on-again, off-again talks, professions of love and flowery letters.
“It’s a great honor to be here,” Trump said, “It is a great day for the world.” Kim hailed the moment, saying of Trump, “I believe this is an expression of his willingness to eliminate unfortunate past and into a new future.”
Peering into North Korea from atop Observation Post Ouellette, Trump told reporters that there has been “tremendous” improvement since his first meeting with the North’s leader in Singapore last year.
Trump claimed the situation used to be marked by “tremendous danger” but “after our first summit, all of the danger went away.”
But North has yet to provide an accounting of its nuclear stockpile, let alone begin the process of dismantling its arsenal.
The meeting at the truce city of Panmunjom also represented a striking acknowledgment by Trump of the authoritarian Kim’s legitimacy over a nation with an abysmal human rights record.
Trump’s summit with Kim in Vietnam earlier this year collapsed without an agreement for denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula. He became the first sitting U.S. president to meet with the leader of the isolated nation last year, when they signed an agreement in Singapore to bring the North toward denuclearization.
- North Korea says leader Kim Jong-un elected as general secretary of ruling party: KCNA
- Will Trump Attack North Korea? CIA Preparing 'a Range of Options' for President
- Who said it: Donald Trump or North Korea?
- Ivanka Trump Ready for PR Battle With Kim Jong Un's Sister at Winter Olympics Closing Ceremony
- Moon Jae-in urges Joe Biden to learn from Donald Trump’s North Korea diplomacy
- Trump’s top tweets from branding Kim Jong-un ‘rocket man’ to ‘covfefe’ flub
- North Korea displays ballistic missiles at parade
- North Korea Claims to Have ‘World’s Most Powerful Weapon’ at ‘Splendid’ Military Parade
- Kim Jong-un’s Sister Reportedly Removed From North Korea’s Executive Committee
- North Korea unveils submarine-launched ballistic missile at military parade
- US Will Work Closely With Partners in Region to Deter North Korea, White House Says
- If Kim Jong Un destroyed North Korea's economy to keep Covid-19 out, will sanctions stop him from pursuing nuclear weapons?
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un adds title: General secretary of ruling party
- North Korea holds huge military parade as Kim vows nuclear might
- Kim Jong-un warns Joe Biden the US is North Korea’s ‘principal enemy’ as he vows to build the ‘most powerful military’’
- Kim Jong Un threatens to boost North Korea's 'nuclear war deterrence' as he brings rare party congress to an end after eight days of discussions
- South Korea Urges Peace Talks As North Korea Shows New Weapon
- VOA Interview: Vice President Mike Pence Discusses Iran, North Korea
- Is Kim Jong Un's sister out of favour? Dictator's sibling is removed from North Korea's executive committee as her brother is granted title held by his father and grandfather
- Leftist South Korean President Urges Biden to Follow Trump’s Lead on North Korea
Trump steps into North Korea, shakes hands with Kim Jong Un have 636 words, post on www.dailysabah.com at June 30, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.