President Donald Trump on Saturday invited North Korea’s Kim Jong Un to shake hands during a possible visit by Trump to the demilitarized zone with South Korea.
Trump is scheduled to fly to South Korea later Saturday after he concludes meetings at the Group of 20 summit in Osaka, Japan, including with the president of China.
He tweeted Saturday morning that afterward: “I will be leaving Japan for South Korea (with President Moon). While there, if Chairman Kim of North Korea sees this, I would meet him at the Border/DMZ just to shake his hand and say Hello(?)!”
Trump’s summit with Kim in Vietnam earlier this year collapsed without an agreement for denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula.
As he left the White House for Asia earlier this week, Trump was asked whether he’d meet with Kim while he is in the region.
“I’ll be meeting with a lot of other people … but I may be speaking to him in a different form,” Trump said.
Such trips to the demilitarized zone, the heavily fortified border between North and South Korea, are usually undertaken under heavy security and the utmost secrecy. Trump tried to visit the DMZ when he was in Seoul in November 2017, but his helicopter was grounded by heavy fog.
Trump has met twice with Kim, in 2018 in Singapore and in February in Vietnam.
Trump repeatedly boasts of how well he gets along with Kim, who displays authoritarian tendencies.
- Trump: Good Chance North Korea Will Denuclearize After Kim Jong Un Meeting
- North Korea: Kim Yo Jong remains 'single person Kim Jong Un trusts'
- Top intel chiefs contradict Trump on Iran, North Korea nuclear developments
- U.S. Military Says Second North Korea Missile Launch Under Biden Shows 'Threat' to Region
- Trump and Nuclear North Korea: How the U.S. Can Contain and Deter Kim Jong Un
- Trump's Meeting With Kim Jong Un Will Make North Korean Dictator Look More Powerful
- Biden's pragmatic play on North Korea
- Happy Birthday, Trump tells Kim. Not enough, North Korea says
- Seoul says North Korea fires 2 projectiles into sea as it revives its testing activity
- North Korea Tells China They Should Team Up on 'Hostile Forces' as Both Face Biden
- Biden Dismisses First North Korea Missile Test He Faces: 'Business as Usual'
- Why is North Korea testing weapons again?
- North Korea drops out of Tokyo Olympics citing COVID-19
- North Korea: Where is Kim Jong Un's wife, Ri Sol-ju?
- COVID-19: North Korea pulls out of Tokyo Olympics due to coronavirus scare
- North Korea fires 2 ballistic missiles into Sea of Japan
- Kim Jong-un wants North Korea's nuclear missiles to be 'combat ready'
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un visits family tomb to pay tribute to grandfather
- Japanese PM Says North Korea Launched Two Ballistic Missiles For First Time Since March 2020
- On North Korea, Biden should borrow from Trump's Singapore declaration
Trump says could meet North Korea's Kim at DMZ have 458 words, post on www.dailysabah.com at June 28, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.