One man is bringing back a Caribbean tradition to Bristol, one that he says has been lost. Mark Barnaby has been lovingly growing his own fruit and vegetables on his allotment for the past 13 years. The 52-year-old, from Easton, says his Jamaican parents, like many of their generation, have always done this. But he says it is something younger people have forgotten. His series of videos and photos on social media dubbed his ‘Allotment Diaries’, he is trying to spread awareness of the power of gardening. He is sharing tips on how to grow food and where the things we eat come from with inner-city young people. Mark Barnaby is not your average gardener. He doesn’t watch Gardener’s World, has never been to the Chelsea Flower Show, and is probably better known in Bristol for being one of the pioneers of basketball coaching in schools and youth clubs. The former Bristol Blackhawks player stands tall at 6ft2ins, a big powerful muscular man and a commanding figure who was known as a no nonsense coach who even some of the most challenging young people would stop and listen to, and usually obey. He grew up on the tough streets of… Read full this story
- 2 Dead After Car Crashes Into Concrete Barrier, Catches Fire In Accident On I-95 In Bristol Township
- Banksy's Mobile Lovers boosts Bristol museum visitor numbers
- 'San Antonio showed out': Y100 8 Man Jam star Chris Young had 'too much fun' in town
- Anti-terror police swoop on upmarket Bristol area to arrest suspected Islamist, 33, over 'fears he was plotting or arranging attack'
- TOWIE SPOILER: Chloe Sims and Amber Turner reignite their bitter feud as Dan Edgar watches awkwardly from the sideline during Christmas special filming
- Man Suspected of Terrorism Plot Arrested at Bristol Residence, Police Search Underway - Reports
- 'Loch Ness Monster' spotted in the Bristol Channel by pub-goers
- Corbyn plays all the old favourites in Bristol but no one's dancing
- Bristol Palin Reportedly Joins 'Teen Mom OG' Cast
- Luke Shaw trolls Lukaku as Man Utd ace reignites aggro with former team-mate and welcomes him back to Europa League
The 6ft2 Easton man reigniting a Jamaican tradition in Bristol have 351 words, post on www.bristolpost.co.uk at June 7, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.