THE HAGUE — Elaine Chao, the official emissary of the Trump administration to the Global Entrepreneurship Summit, wants the world’s travelers to know she feels their pain. “For those of you who think that the secretary of transportation of the United States has a private plane, that is so not true,” Chao, who in addition to being U.S. transportation secretary happens to be married to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, told the high-powered audience of business owners and investors in the Netherlands on Tuesday. “I flew here early yesterday morning in a coach middle-class seat, and it was delayed. So this is emblematic of how the secretary of transportation understands the transportation needs of people around the world,” she said. What some in the audience, including Dutch officials who co-sponsored the summit with the United States, were trying harder to understand, however, was why the world’s richest and most powerful country doesn’t have a serious infrastructure policy, and instead tolerates life with crumbling roads and bridges, dilapidated urban transit systems, and a dysfunctional, money-losing national railroad. Many in the audience also wondered why the U.S. opposes government-run health care, can’t stop gun violence, and elected Donald Trump, but those were… Read full this story
- Ian O'Doherty: 'Brexit, melting glaciers and a Biden vs Trump showdown...'
- Wall or fence? Trump & Dems clash on what to build on Mexico border amid risk of govt shutdown
- Donald Trump threatens to 'shut down government' during Oval Office clash with Democrat leaders
- Trump decisions damaging US-UK relations, peers say
- Nancy Pelosi clapping Trump at State of the Union is now a meme
- A look back at Donald Trump’s tumultuous second year in office
- Trump's meeting with top Democrats descends into chaos in the Oval Office
- Trump accused of security risk after Pelosi’s trip to Afghanistan revealed
- Opinion: Forget the state of the union Mr Trump, check out the state of you
- Trump's 'manhood' questioned by Pelosi after wild White House meeting
Rutte vs. Trump as visions clash in The Hague have 334 words, post on www.politico.eu at June 4, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.