Rory Stewart has denied claims that he previously spied for MI6 – but acknowledged he could not admit to being a spy even if he had been. The Tory leadership hopeful was this morning asked about revelations in The Telegraph that he was recruited by the Secret Intelligence Service after graduating from Oxford University. This newspaper reported claims from a Whitehall security source, who said that Mr Stewart had spent seven years as a spy before entering Parliament. Asked about the claims on Tuesday, the International Development Secretary told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that he had “served my country” but if asked whether he was a former intelligence operative, “I would say no”. Mr Stewart,… To continue reading this article Start your free trial of Premium Access all Premium articles Subscriber-only events Cancel any time Free for 30 days then only £2 per week Try Premium Access one Premium article per week Register for free We’re glad you’re enjoying The Telegraph Register or subscribe to continue readingAlready a subscriber? Log in Register Free One free Premium article per week Newsletters and daily briefings Register Subscribe 30 days free, then £2 per week Unlimited access to Premium articles Subscriber-only newsletters… Read full this story
- Huawei founder denies spy risk claims
- Huawei founder denies spying for China in rare interview
- Russian trolls are claiming Novichok victim Yulia Skripal is pregnant with a MI6 agent’s baby
- Pardoned Brit ‘spy’ Matthew Hedges heard inmates being TORTURED during horror stay in UAE jail
- New MI6 recruitment advert says being a spy is 'not about finding the button for the ejector seat'
- MI6 'used Channel migrant crisis to smuggle spy into UK on dinghy'
- Tinker, Tailor, Writer, Spy
- Vladimir Putin ‘establishing new spy network in the UK after spooks were kicked out after the Salisbury Novichok attack’
- UAE spy accused recovery will 'take years'
- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson reveals ‘grave’ concerns amid spying claims over Chinese firm providing mobile network in UK
Rory Stewart denies being a spy for MI6 have 325 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at June 18, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.