International investigators are set to launch criminal proceedings against suspects in the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine nearly five years ago. The Dutch-led international team tasked with assigning criminal responsibility for the plane’s destruction is to inform victims’ families of progress in their case on Wednesday morning (local time), followed by a presentation to the media. Dutch broadcasters RTL and NOS reported late last week that investigators would reveal the names of individual suspects. An Interfax Ukraine report on Tuesday quoted Ukraine’s Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Olena Zerkal in an interview as saying prosecutors would name four “top” suspects. MH17 was shot out of the sky on July 17, 2014 over territory held by pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine as it was flying from Amsterdam to the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur. All 298 people on board were killed. Most victims were Dutch. A joint investigation team formed in 2014 by Australia, Belgium, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Ukraine found that the plane was shot down by a Russian missile. The Russian government denies having lent any support to pro-Russia rebels fighting Ukrainian government troops and also denies any involvement in shooting down MH17. Last year… Read full this story
- A QUARTER of COVID prosecutions have been withdrawn 'because police misused the rules or because people had done nothing wrong'
- Holland, the drug smugglers’ paradise (but don’t bring your ham sandwiches!) As Dutch cops focus on truckers’ snacks, gangs are turning the country into a narco-state with illicit operations worth billions
- Drug deals, dirty money and links to Beijing: Australian police bring down Asia’s ‘Mr Big’
- French fishmongers say their supply chain has been shattered by over-zealous local bureaucrats enforcing post-Brexit red tape
- Chief Constable of Northamptonshire Police is referred to watchdog after internal emails showed he described spokesman for Harry Dunn's family as an 'issue'
- Yet another Communist cover-up: Two WHO scientists are turned back by China over 'positive antibody test' as team arrives in Wuhan to probe Covid's origins - but they will NOT visit virus lab and WILL investigate wet market discredited as 'source'
- Drug driver warned 'I'm a monster' before ploughing into school kids killing boy, 12
- REVEALED: Capitol Police REJECTED offers of National Guard help days before MAGA riot 'because they didn't want images of military troops on the Hill'
- NYPD: Kevin Gavin Killed 3 Women At Carter G. Woodson Houses, A Home For Seniors In Brooklyn
- Travel in 2021: Memories from paths once trod
Netherlands to prosecute suspects in MH17 crash have 404 words, post on www.odt.co.nz at June 19, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.