News / UK by Press Association 04/06/2019, 9:29 am Send us a story Sign up to our Daily newsletter When MPs return to the House of Commons on Tuesday, it will be to resume what is now the longest session of Parliament in the history of the United Kingdom. The current session formally began on June 21 2017 with the State Opening, including the Queen’s Speech. A total of 713 days have since passed, making this the longest continuous parliamentary session since the UK was established by the Acts of Union in 1800. The previous record-holder was the session of 2010-12, which lasted 707 calendar days from the State Opening on May 25 2010 to prorogation on May 1 2012. Parliament is typically prorogued once a year, followed shortly afterwards by another State Opening and Queen’s Speech. But in 2017, the Government announced the current session was to last two years to pass the key legislation needed to allow the UK’s departure from the European Union. With the House of Commons still deadlocked over Brexit, however, there is no sign the Government intends to bring the session to an end. Whoever takes over from Theresa May as Prime Minister could… Read full this story
- Jeremy Corbyn jeered by MPs for refusing to back UK leaving EU on October 31
- He Sailed the Longest Ocean Voyage in History and Turned It Into Art
- Has Boris Johnson's Brexit deal got the votes to pass the UK Parliament?
- Labour MPs raise sexism concerns at a stormy party meeting
- UK Parliament rejects Brexit bill timetable in blow for Boris Johnson
- Boris Johnson warns that Jeremy Corbyn and Remainer MPs could block Brexit until NEXT YEAR as opinion poll puts him 16 points ahead
- Labour's John Mann quits as MP to join House of Lords
- MPs to vote on Boris Johnson's 12 December election call
- UK queries Facebook decision to exempt political statements from fact-checking
- Brexit: How ready is the UK government for no deal?
MPs to resume longest parliamentary session in UK history have 318 words, post on www.eveningexpress.co.uk at June 4, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.