KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has once again sparked controversy over his anti-Semitic views while on a working visit to the United Kingdom, with his remarks drawing the ire of local Jewish students. "I have some Jewish friends, very good friends, they are not like the other Jews, that's why they are my friends," Dr Mahathir reportedly said at the Cambridge Union debating society on Sunday (Jun 16). His remarks were said to have been followed by laughter from the audience, prompting a sharp response from the Jewish student community. "I have some Jewish friends, very good friends. They are not like the other Jews, that's why they are my friends”- Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad at the Cambridge Union last night. pic.twitter.com/2ZRrMDtfKy — Union of Jewish Students (@UJS_UK) June 17, 2019 In a tweet, the Union of Jewish Students (UJS) stated: "Freedom of speech is not a joke when it incites hatred against one people." The UJS represents more than 8,000 Jewish students on UK campuses. Mr Adam Cannon, a lawyer and former UJS president added that allowing anti-Semitic and racist comments to go unchallenged while the audience laughed was unacceptable. "It is shameful and humiliating for such a… Read full this story
- Malaysian PM Mahathir defends democracy and his leadership in Oxford Union address
- Actor Benedict Cumberbatch severs business ties with Malaysian PM's son Mokhzani
- Malaysia PM Mahathir cites Trump to defend Israeli athlete ban
- Bersatu leaders defend Malaysian deputy foreign minister accused of having fake ‘Cambridge’ degree
- PM Mahathir chides Johor's crown prince for saying an 'outsider' must stay out of state affairs
- Cambridge University rescinds Jordan Peterson invitation
- US House condemns bigotry but anti-Semitism debate exposes Democrat rifts
- What is unique about anti-Semitism?
- NFL quarterback prospect Josh Rosen facing ‘classic anti-Semitism’
- Malaysian leader Mahathir, 93, says he's feeling his age
Malaysian PM Mahathir sparks controversy over anti-Semitic remarks at Cambridge University have 307 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at June 18, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.