Date created : 30/06/2019 – 07:08Latest update : 30/06/2019 – 07:11
US President Donald Trump confirmed that he will meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in the Demilitarized Zone that divides the peninsula on Sunday to “just shake hands quickly”.
“We’re going to the DMZ border and I’ll be meeting with Chairman Kim. I look forward to it very much. We’ve developed a very good relationship,” Trump said, hailing a “certain chemistry” between the two leaders.
But he was “in no rush” when it came to tensions on the Korean peninsula, Trump said, and stressed the meeting would be short.
“Just shake hands quickly and say hello because we haven’t seen each other since Vietnam,” he said, referring to a summit that collapsed without an agreement in February.
“It’s just a step and probably a step in the right direction,” said Trump.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in said he would also go to the DMZ but the “focus” would be on the Trump-Kim encounter, with a possibility of a more formal sit-down at a later date.
“I think when the third US-North summit will be held depends on what change today’s meeting and dialogue could generate,” said Moon.
Moon said that “peace takes more courage compared to tensions.”
“Continued dialogue is very practical and the only method to bring about peace on the Korean peninsula,” added the South Korean head of state.
- Donald Trump to meet Kim Jong Un in Vietnam for second summit
- Trump Will Meet North Korea's Kim Jong Un: They Fought in 2017, Will They Make Peace in 2018?
- Trump Says Got Along With Kim From Beginning of Meeting
- Kim and Trump finally show their hands after nuclear talks in Hanoi
- Trump invites heroes of California synagogue shooting to National Day of Prayer event
- Kim Jong Un calls Trump 'courageous' for being 1st US president to visit North Korea
- After Trump and Kim's handshake, what comes next in US-North Korean talks?: Analysis
- Trump meets Kim at Korean Demilitarized Zone
- Trump meets Kim in North Korea, scripts history
- Donald Trump gets 'beautiful' letter from North Korea's Kim Jong Un
- Donald Trump-Kim Jong Un summit: North Korea commits to 'complete denuclearization'
- North Korea: Kim Jong Un inspects new submarine
- What will the Meeting of the Century achieve?
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un Makes 'a Fool' of Donald Trump 'Every Day,' MSNBC Morning Joe Host Says
- From Little Rocket Man to denuclearization: A timeline of US-North Korea relations under Kim Jong Un
- These women have accused Trump of sexual harassment
- Trump-Kim summit: Big win for North Korea and China, small one for US
- Donald Trump's 2019 State of the Union: What you need to know
- N. Korean leader Kim visits China ahead of expected Trump summit
- The Note: Trump’s do-over doesn’t mean it’s over
Kim accepts Trump invite to meet and greet at DMZ have 449 words, post on www.france24.com at June 29, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.