News / UK by Press Association 17/06/2019, 12:04 am Send us a story Sign up to our Daily newsletter Trinidadian-British actress and television presenter Baroness Floella Benjamin is guest editing the latest issue of the Big Issue magazine to mark Windrush Day. June 22 was the day when around 500 migrants from the Caribbean arrived at Tilbury Docks in Essex in 1948 aboard the MV Empire Windrush, at the invitation of the British government, to help rebuild the UK in the aftermath of the Second World War. The issue has been marred by recent revelations on how members of the Windrush generation and their children have been wrongly detained and deported and others denied access to healthcare, work, housing benefits and pensions. Features in the special 56-page edition of the Big Issue on Monday include an insight on the scourge of youth knife crime, from case workers from the St Giles Trust, who work on the frontline to tackle violence among youngsters. Athlete Linford Christie discusses the racism that blighted his schooldays, athletics rivalry and the drug scandal that destroyed his career. Sir Lenny Henry writes a plea for an honest media portrayal of the diversity and culture of the UK. The regular My Pitch feature,… Read full this story
- Four big issues facing new European Ryder Cup captain Padraig Harrington as he prepares for Whistling Straits in 2020
- Here are the five big issues facing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as he takes over as Man United caretaker manager
- John Aldridge: 'Liverpool are not in crisis but one area of their team is becoming a big issue'
- Jim Naughtie guest edits modern Scots poetry compilation in honour of Robert Burns
- The stories behind the people who sell the Big Issue in Cardiff
- Sheffield figures go head-to-head to support Big Issue
- Big Issue magazine launches 'augmented reality' technology to share stories of homelessness in Britain
- Tibutes paid to well-know Big Issue seller from Norwich
- Tributes paid to well-known Big Issue seller from Norwich
- Norwich Big Issue seller spared ‘pauper’s funeral’ by a kind-hearted family
Floella Benjamin guest edits Windrush edition of the Big Issue have 336 words, post on www.eveningexpress.co.uk at June 16, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.