Sports legend Billie Jean King has defended the U.S. women’s soccer team after they were slammed for wildly celebrating every goal in their 13-0 defeat of Thailand. Tennis star King insisted that the criticism is ‘ridiculous’, hitting back at trolls saying: ‘I don’t think they would be doing that if they were men.’ King says she’s ‘ticked off’ over the situation and feels that there are double standards regarding the way female and male soccer stars are treated. The 75-year-old also believes that the women’s team have ‘a lot of responsibility’ on their shoulders so celebrating is a way of releasing the pressure. She told DailyMailTV: ‘First of all, I think the criticism is ridiculous. I don’t think they would do that if they were men. I think they would be celebrating them making all of those goals, so let’s just put that in perspective. Billie Jean King tells DailyMailTV that she supports the U.S. women’s soccer team after they were slammed for wildly celebrating every goal in their 13-0 defeat of Thailand The U.S. women’s soccer team has been slammed for celebrating every goal in their 13-0 defeat of Thailand. Pictured: U.S. player Mallory Pugh celebrates one of 13… Read full this story
- "The policing of women’s bodies must end": Billie Jean King slams French Open catsuit ban
- Billie Jean King Tells French Open Officials To Stop 'Policing Women's Bodies'
- 'Battle of the Sexes' Sugarcoats Billie Jean King's Tragic Love Affair
- Battle of the Sexes 45 Years on: Billie Jean King Continues the Battle Against Gender Inequality
- Billie Jean King to receive Smithsonian’s ‘Great Americans’ Medal
- Q & A: Billie Jean King on the Serena Williams uproar, kneeling during national anthem and Christine Blasey Ford
- Billie Jean King: Serena Williams is still treated differently than male athletes
- Billie Jean King hopes to ‘make a difference’ as Dodgers minority owner
- Alexander: What does Billie Jean King’s ownership stake in Dodgers mean?
- Tennis icon Billie Jean King and partner Ilana Kloss join Dodgers ownership group
EXCLUSIVE: 'The criticism is ridiculous!' Billie Jean King defends the U.S. women's soccer team's 'disrespectful' World Cup celebration, saying there would be no backlash 'if they were men' have 347 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at June 13, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.