Denzel Washington said his ‘biggest lifetime achievement’ is his wife of 35 years, Pauletta.
The star was being honored on Thursday evening at the AFI Awards in Hollywood.
And the 64-year-old Training Day actor added that he is also proud of his four children. He has John David, 34, Katia, 32, and 28-year-old twins Olivia and Malcolm with his spouse.
At the event, the actor took a rare photo with his wife and two of his four kids – Katia and Malcolm – while on the red carpet.
Good husband: Denzel Washington’s ‘biggest lifetime achievement’ is his wife of 35 years, Pauletta, he said before being honored with an AFI award in Hollywood on Thursday
Family: And the 64-year-old Training Day star added he was also proud of his four children. He has John David, 34, Katia, 32, and 28-year-old twins Olivia and Malcolm with spouse Pauletta. At the event, the actor took a rare photo with his wife and two of his kids: Katia and Malcolm
When asked about his achievement, he was standing next to Pauletta. He said, ‘[Actually] I was pointing to her. That’s my biggest lifetime achievement.’
The New York native met Pauletta on the set of the TV movie Wilma. They wed in 1983.
In 1995, Denzel and Pauletta renewed their wedding vows in South Africa with Archbishop Desmond Tutu officiating.
Their children seem to have done very well so far.
John is an actor who has appeared in the HBO comedy series Ballers and in Spike Lee’s 2018 film BlacKkKlansman. He is also a former football player with the United Football League’s Sacramento Mountain Lions.
Katia graduated from Yale University with a Bachelor Of Arts degree in 2010. Malcolm graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with a degree in film studies. Olivia played a role in Lee Daniels’s film The Butler.
Still in love: When asked about his achievement, he was standing next to Pauletta. He said, ‘[Actually] I was pointing to her. That’s my biggest lifetime achievement’
The Pelican Brief star admitted he was happy to have been chosen by the American Film Institute for the honor but felt very ‘relaxed’ to be attending an event in his honour as there was no pressure on him.
He told Entertainment Tonight: ‘I’m humbled, I’m grateful, I’m thankful… I’ve never done this before so I can’t really tell you how I feel.
‘It doesn’t feel like other times I’m on the red carpet. I’m usually promoting a film or at an award show. [Here] I’ve already won, I guess, so it’s different. It’s relaxed.’
Despite his decades of success, the Fences star admitted he ‘never thought’ about a career in acting when he was younger until it was suggested when he was at university.
He told Variety: ‘I kind of backed into it. I never thought about acting, I didn’t know anything about it. But I fell in love with it. Ignorance is bliss.
‘Someone said, “Hey, you ever thought about being on stage? You seem like a natural.” That fall, I did a musical. I found out I couldn’t sing, but I was off to the races.’
Also at the event was Beyonce, who was the picture of style royalty as she made a surprise appearance.
The songstress, 37, worked her magic in a stunning, off-the-shoulder gold dress complete with a resplendent gold necklace as she honored her long-time collaborator, director Melina Matsoukas.
Golden girl: Beyonce looked every inch the goddess as she made a surprise appearance a the AFI Awards
In photos posted to her Instagram account, the hit-maker could not hide her pride as she strode onto the stage with all eyes on her.
The Formation songstress hit the stage with her light brunette tresses styled into long, loose waves, with a tint of shimmering makeup to bring out her natural radiance.
A gold belt cinched into her waist, while a coordinating pair of strappy heels gave her some added height.
Once she was behind the podium, the Crazy In Love singer was brimming with happiness as she introduced her friend.
It’s an honor: The songstress posted photos of herself presenting the award to Melina
Praise: The Crazy In Love singer embraced her long-time collaborator
Accomplished: Music videos Melina has worked on include Beyonce’s songs Diva and Formation
Taking the stage: The songstress was the picture of pride and joy as she hit the podium
‘After over a decade of collaborating with Melina, we’ve become family,’ Beyonce said, according to the LA Times. ‘In 2005 she managed to shoot five videos with me in three days, creating beautiful imagery with little to no budget. We’ve come a long way since those days. Now Melina’s directing TV shows like Insecure, and the upcoming film, Queen And Slim.’
Beyonce continued lavishing praise on Melina’s work, calling her projects ‘stories that are thought-provoking, dramatic, funny and real. She is holding up a mirror for people who look like you and me to see ourselves, saying, ‘You are beautiful and your stories matter.’
‘As a woman of color, conformity is not her thing. She stays authentic to her roots and femininity in an industry dominated by men. Her drive, vision, taste level and storytelling is boldly unapologetic.’
Style royalty: The songstress channeled her inner goddess for the occasion
Sparkle and shine! Julia Roberts wowed in a slimming black dress with glittering accents
Round of applause! The actress clapped her hands behind the podium
All that glitters: Roberts was the picture of style behind the podium
Beyonce captured the moment she presented the award to her friend via Instagram, posting a photo of them on stage just before giving the honor.
‘Melina, I’m so proud of you my sister. Love you deep,’ she captioned the photos.
Thursday night’s AFI Awards was held to honor Denzel Washington, and there was no shortage of stars in attendance celebrating the career of the critically-acclaimed actor.
She said what!? Julia could not hide her shock at something said during the conversation
Having a blast! Roberts joyfully showed her support for the show
The man of the hour! Thursday night’s AFI Awards were held to honor Denzel Washington
The stars came in style! Paula Patton and Issa Rae exuded glamour in flowing frocks
Looking good! Jodie Foster rocked a black blazer, cropped trousers, and eye-catching shoes
Julia Roberts was one of the many presenters appearing behind the podium in style.
The actress rocked a head full of bouncy curls, along with a flawlessly made-up complexion highlighting her natural beauty.
Appearing behind the podium, Julia was the picture of happiness as she addressed the crowd with an air of confidence.
It takes two! Cara Santana wowed in metallic as her fiance Jesse Metcalfe worked a sharp suit
Simply stylish: Cicely Tyson wowed in a flowing blue frock with a coordinating tint in her hair
Classic: Joy Bryant put on a head-turning display in a chic and sophisticated black dress
Man of style! Morgan Freeman kept it smart in a black tuxedo
The actress was slightly more animated while relaxing in the crowd, giving an array of shocked expressions as she chatted with the guests.
On the red carpet, the stars were dressed in their finest for their moment in the spotlight.
Paula Patton wowed in a stunning emerald green dress with bejeweled accents along the neck and torso.
Bold in blue! Martin Lawrence and Roberta Moradfar coordinated in shades of blue
Smart and sharp! W. Kamau Bell and his wife Melissa Bell were the picture of style
Family affair! Michael B. Jordan was joined by his mother Donna Jordan and sister Jamila Jordan. The actor was dressed to impress in a Tom Ford ensemble
Here he comes! The fans could not hide their delight at seeing Denzel, who arrived with his wife Pauletta
Crowd pleaser! Denzel greeted the adoring fans
Issa Rae stood out in a flowing hot pink dress with a plunging neckline.
Jodie Foster kept it simple yet stylish in a black blazer with eye-catching heels.
Cara Santana cut a stylish figure in a metallic mini dress while slicking her raven black locks into a sophisticated bun.
She was joined by her fiance, Jesse Metcalfe, who exuded style in a smart suit.
Having some fun: Jay Pharoah struck a pose alongside Ava DuVernay
Star-studded: Frances McDormand smiled from ear to ear at the event
Standing ovation: The crowd rose and applauded for Cicely
Sing it! Jennifer Hudson wowed the crowd with her impressive vocals
Showstopper! Jamie Foxx addressed the crowd while rocking a black suit
Center stage: Jodie raised her arms during her remarks
Making some remarks: Freeman was among the many speakers that evening
Mingling! Paula enjoyed a moment with Jerry Bruckheimer
Good times: Chadwick Boseman shared the spotlight with Stephen Henderson
The look of love: Pauletta gazed fondly at her other half
Big night! The actor was clearly having the time of his life
- Julia Roberts pays tribute to husband Daniel Moder on wedding anniversary with rare Instagram pic
- Julia Roberts shares rare photo with husband Danny Moder
- Taking a Boat Out to Christo’s Pink Islands With the Artist, 35 Years Later
- Drunk In Diamonds: Beyoncé wears $6.8m of custom jewellery to the Grammy Awards as she pays tribute to the Black Panther party in sexy double thigh-split velvet gown
- 'My kids have effectively lost their dad': Kate Garraway fights back tears as she reveals 'desperate' husband Derek Draper has almost died SIX TIMES while making an emotional return to GMB
- PICTURED: Schoolgirl, 11, who was killed alongside her three cousins after they were hit by a 4WD on their way to get ice cream - as alleged drunk driver, 29, is charged four counts of manslaughter
- Prince Andrew feels heat after Ghislaine Maxwell FBI arrest – but Duke is ‘bewildered’ by request to make statement
- Virginia Roberts vows ‘you’re next, Prince Andrew’ as she hails arrest of ‘insidious creature’ Ghislaine Maxwell
- Happy Father's Day! The Beckhams mark the celebration with sweet family snaps while pregnant Rochelle Humes thanks husband Marvin for being 'the dad I longed for' as they lead the celebs sharing tributes on social media
- Celebrity deaths in 2020: Famous faces lost this year from Ian Holm to Dame Vera Lynn
- Barack Obama says George Floyd protests are fueled by 'decades worth of unequal treatment' as he takes part in YouTube's star-studded Class of 2020 commencement speeches and joins Beyonce and Taylor Swift
- The 35 best movies on Disney+ right now
- George Floyd latest: Washington DC protesters arrive for 'largest' rally
- Caitlyn Jenner snubbed in Father's Day tribute by son Brody and ex wife Linda Thompson
- Jamie Oliver and wife Jools pose for rare photo inside bedroom as they celebrate special occasion
- 'Let's say we didn't knock politely': Officer describes how FBI agents smashed down Ghislaine Maxwell's door and hauled her off in handcuffs after she gave them the slip in year-long $5m game of 'cat and mouse'
- ‘St. Elmo’s Fire’ Hits 35; Co-Writer Carl Kurlander Recalls Joel Schumacher’s Quintessential ’80s Movie
- FMIA Guest: Joe Browne Looks Back At AFL-NFL Merger, 50 Years Later
- Eamonn Holmes attempts to do Ruth Langsford's hair before live TV appearance – and fans aren't convinced!
- From socialite to 'child sex-trafficker': How Ghislaine Maxwell grew up as the 'favorite' daughter of disgraced newspaper baron Robert and went from mixing with royals, politicians and moguls to 'procuring minors' for billionaire pedophile Epstein
Denzel Washington makes very rare appearance with his wife of 35 years and two of his four kids at AFI tribute... alongside Julia Roberts and Beyonce have 1940 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at June 7, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.