“Everyone has seen some sort of reenactment of that, read a book, seen a movie or whatever,” said Peter Laviolette, the Team USA captain in 1994 who was part of the trip that afternoon. “They’ve seen the devastation of the soldiers trying to take the beach . . . trying to take the beach . . . trying to take the beach . . . and that many lives lost.” “Humbling,” added Mike Dunham, today the Bruins’ goalie development coach, who then was only 21 years old and less than a year removed from his University of Maine playing days. “The enormity of that whole place, and thinking about what happened there, and picturing the Allied troops sitting in those boats, approaching that beach, looking at those cliffs, and thinking, ‘Where do you go?’ “To be there, and witness it, for me was a ‘Whoa!’ moment in life.” The tour bus, arranged by US coach Tim Taylor, made its way over from Rouen, where the Yanks had just wrapped up an exhibition before their flight to Oslo. Taylor, ever the teacher, wanted his young charges to enter the Games with a firsthand sense of US and world history, and try to grasp just what a tiny… Read full this story
- Please Enjoy These One Direction Crumbs for the Band’s 10th Anniversary
- Does running a mile a day really improve children’s lives?
- Complimenting strangers changed my life – you should give it a try
- Interpol has just two days to find a Ferrari-driving Red Bull heir who is wanted over hit-and-run which killed a Bangkok policeman before charges will be dropped
- Best Coast Announce Virtual Anniversary Show With Hayley Williams, Mark Hoppus & More
- Mum-of-10 opens up about her crazy daily life in a blended family – with £275 weekly food shops and 4.45am wake ups
- 'I've been struggling to put it into words!' Harry Styles celebrates One Direction's 10th anniversary with heartfelt post... as the band release video looking back at their best bits
- Matt Baker shares unseen photos as he celebrates wedding anniversary!
- Kevin Bacon serenades wife of 30 years Kyra Sedgwick playing Joni Mitchell's A Case of You on a ukulele for Valentine's Day
- 'You are my anchor and my best friend': EastEnders' Luisa Bradshaw-White celebrates fifth anniversary with wife Annette as she shares heartwarming wedding snaps
D-Day anniversary truly puts hockey, life in perspective have 370 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at June 8, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.