Want to read more?We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards Subscribe NowBishop Brian McGee of Argyll and the Isles Diocese travelled to Glenuig recently to help celebrate mass and pay tribute to those who kept the Catholic faith alive in the Highlands amid persecution, poverty and famine. Mass was celebrated in St Agnes’ Church in Glenuig to mark 250 years of the Moidart Mission. After the Reformation, the Catholic faith survived in the area thanks to the endeavours of occasional missionaries and the deep faith of the laity, especially within families.Father Austin ‘Uisdean’ MacDonald was appointed to the newly-created Moidart Mission in 1769. Father MacDonald walked through the mountains of Moidart in all weathers bringing together small communities for prayer and catechesis, despite a wider culture of intolerance towards Catholicism. Mass centres were built for the 1,200 Catholics in the area, though they were not regarded as churches as a result of… Read full this story
- Mini Kabul: Afghan refugees mark 40 years in Pakistan
- In 'mini Kabul', Afghan refugees mark 40 years in Pakistan
- Britain’s best boozers revealed from a 250-year-old inn to a community-owned pub – did your local make the list?
- Bell ringers to mark 100 years since the end of First World War
- New Voting Changes This Year In Mission Viejo
- Oak Brook Father's Day Car Show Marks 50th Year
- Algeria on cusp of change as protest movement marks 1 year
- Farhan Akhtar, Shibani Dandekar mark two-year anniversary with stylish post, celebrate ‘730 not-out’. See here
- Jay Z's Tidal Marks Five-Year Anniversary of Trayvon Martin Shooting with Powerful Social Justice Film
- Memorial Marks 30 Years Since Disappearance Of Cherrie Mahan
Bishop helps mark 250 years of Moidart Mission have 316 words, post on www.obantimes.co.uk at June 27, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.