Gibraltar: Spanish Navy ship chased by Royal Navy HMS Sabre
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
British crews were deployed on the HMS Sabre after being alerted to the presence of the Infanta Cristina near the British oversees territory on Sunday. The UK Foreign Office has confirmed an "incursion" by the Spanish navy took place and it was "challenged" by British forces. A spokesman said: "We can confirm an incursion by the Spanish navy occurred yesterday.
"As with all incursions, the Royal Navy challenged the vessel. When challenged, the Spanish navy vessel left British Gibraltar territorial waters.
"Incursions are a violation of sovereignty, not a threat to it. We have no doubt about UK sovereignty over Gibraltar, including British Gibraltar territorial waters."
The UK's relationship continues to be strained amid fears from union leaders that contracts to build supply vessels for the Royal Navy could go to Spain.
HMS Sabre was forced to intercept the Spanish vessel (Image: Royal Navy )
The GMB said industry sources were suggesting the £1 billion contract for Fleet Solid Support ships could go to the Navantia naval yard in northern Spain.
There are believed to be five bidders to build Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessels, with the Rosyth yard in Fife, Scotland, in line for work if Babcock wins the contract.
The GMB, which has over 600,000 members, also suggested that a decision to give the work to Spain could be linked to Brexit-related negotiations over the future of Gibraltar.
Tim Roache, general secretary of the GMB, said: “If the contracts for these ships go abroad, the Government is basically sticking two fingers up to shipbuilding communities and the entire manufacturing industry in the UK.
Brexit: ‘Gibraltar wants to STAY part of Britain’ blasts Picardo
“No other government would outsource national security. If it is true this deal is being done because of ministers’ abject failure to sort out Brexit then it’s not just negligent, it’s grubby and reeks of self-preservation and putting party politics ahead of people’s livelihoods and communities.
“If this is what the Government is planning, it needs to think again.”
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: “We are required by law to procure the Fleet Solid Support ships through open international competition. We issued formal tender documents to bidders, including a UK consortium, in late 2018.
“The final decision regarding the winning bid will be made in 2020.”
- 'Furious' Priti Patel backs sending the Royal Navy to tackle migrant crisis after 235 - including a heavily pregnant woman and a tiny baby - are caught making the perilous Channel crossing in ONE day
- French warn Royal Navy to stay out of their waters while Boris Johnson calls for new powers to kick out illegal migrants - as RAF spotter plane patrols the Channel with scores more people landing TODAY
- FOUR THOUSAND migrants have crossed the channel this year: Toddlers and a baby in a gym bag are among at least 130 migrants landing in UK today on 13 boats as ministers threaten to send in the Navy to turn back the 'tide'
- Mayor of Calais says Britain has 'declared maritime war' on France after Priti Patel called for Navy to police Channel as another 30 migrants made crossing in four boats
- Ministers look at Australian-style plan to 'push-back' migrants vessels leaving France while Border Force pleads with Royal Navy to step in to help - as toddler is plucked from a boat in the Channel and taken to Dover today
- Plan to 'push back' migrants: Ministers consider Australian-style operation to use Navy to block boats leaving France - as intruders turn to makeshift vessels made from LEMONADE BOTTLES and paddling pools in bid to cross Channel
- UK ministers plead with France to get tough on Channel migrants amid warning that 7,500 could cross by Christmas - as full dinghy paddles straight past country's navy using shovels as oars
- Patel Could Send Navy to Channel After Record 235 Migrants Cross: Report
- Former Aussie PM: UK Will Face Own Migrant Crisis Unless Boats Are Turned Back
- Calais Mayor: Stopping Illegal Boat Migrants Is Declaration of ‘Maritime War’
- UK Considering Australia-Style ‘Operation Push Back’ Against Channel Migrants: Report
- UK to urge France to crack down on migrant crossings
- UK demands France crack down on migrant crossings in bid to make route 'unviable'
- Migrants: UK has failed to cut numbers trying to cross Channel, but not through a lack of trying
- UK's coronavirus death toll could have topped 100,000 if government didn't tell the public to stay at home, study suggests
- Royal Navy weighing up Home Office request for support as dozens more migrants intercepted
- GMB reporter Jonathan Swain pursues ten migrants as they cross Channel in small dinghy as experts warn they are being told to cross now before Brexit is finalised
- Government threatens 'maritime assets' to deter migrants as more than 100 intercepted today
- WATCH: Migrant Boat ‘Shadowed’ Into British Waters by French Ships
- Out of Control: UK Calls For France to Get Tough on Illegal Channel Migrant Crossings
UK send WARNING to Spain as Navy intercept boat in Gibraltar - ‘VIOLATION of sovereignty' have 955 words, post on www.express.co.uk at May 6, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.