“It is obvious when I shot him I intended to kill him”. These were the famous but damning words uttered by the last woman to be hanged in Britain while on trial for murdering her lover. With locks of bleached peroxide blonde hair and dressed in the latest fashion, Rhyl-born Ruth Ellis was the epitome of glamour and was a dead-ringer for Marilyn Monroe. Her work as a nightclub and glamour model in 1950s London led her to become acquainted with motor-racer and former public-schoolboy David Blakely, and the two became involved in a passionate affair. But on Easter Sunday in 1955, Ellis took a loaded gun to The Magdala pub in Hampstead and brutally shot Blakely five times at close range as he stepped outside in a cold-blooded murder that shocked the nation. After readily admitting at her trial that she intended to end Blakely’s life, Ellis was sentenced to death and was executed by the infamous hangman Albert Pierrepoint at Holloway Prison, three months after the murder. Her death was just as controversial as her life and paved way for the abolition of capital punishment in the UK in 1965. Even decades later, her legacy still lives on… Read full this story
- Nashville on Edge as Police Hunt 'Cold-Blooded Killers' in String of Shootings
- Tests on degraded DNA can't link 'In Cold Blood' killers to unsolved Florida slayings
- Judge says investigative files for 'In Cold Blood' murders can be published by investigator's son
- Nashville on edge as police hunt 'cold-blooded' murder suspects
- 'I've been single for three years!' Shane Warne claims he has only been on 'one date' since splitting from glamour model Emily Scott... but what about all those busty blondes?
- Attorney: Parking Lot Shooting of Florida Man 'Cold-Blooded Murder'
- Did convicted 'Cold Blood' murderers in Capote novel also kill a Florida family?
- In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote
- Ex-topless glamour model caught drink driving after ‘struggling’ to deal with end of her modelling career
- Model turned activist Waris Dirie says world is ignoring the crime of FGM
The peroxide blonde glamour model who turned cold blooded killer have 342 words, post on www.walesonline.co.uk at May 19, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.