For many women, sport isn’t just about their team turning up top of the league, it’s part of the fabric of who they are. In this, the second article in a week-long series highlighting role models in women’s sport, we talk to inspiring women who have battled extraordinary odds, with the help of their sport. ⬤ LEAH CHEUNG (19) When Leah Cheung sets herself a goal, she doesn’t let much get in her way. She certainly didn’t let a diagnosis of diabetes at the age of 12 stop her from living life her way and following her passion. Leah’s passion is powerlifting and it’s something that she’s only come to in recent years. But it’s opened the doors to a new sport and showed her that a life in sport is something she wants – she’s also training to be a personal trainer. Being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes came as a big shock, says Leah. As a 12 year-old she was hospitalised for a week at the time of her diagnosis. She feared that her life would be taken over by blood tests and appointments and insulin pumps. And while Leah, who lives in Blackwater, Co Wexford, says there… Read full this story
- Kate Wright and Rio Ferdinand EXCLUSIVE: Mother of the bride gushes their Turkish wedding was 'the best day of my life' as the couple celebrate with a 'boisterous' pool party
- Fitbit Charge 3 with a touchscreen and 7 days of battery life goes on sale in October for $150
- Hard Lessons (Thanks, Amazon) Breathe New Life Into Retail Stores
- Will a California bill give players a slice of college sports' $14bn pie?
- Deadspin editor fired amid uprising against ‘stick to sports’ order
- "His Lessons Continue To Guide Me Today": Sachin Tendulkar Remembers Ramakant Achrekar On Teachers' Day
- Keeping the Fun in Children’s Sports
- Imperfect Perfection: An Outlaw 911 On A Cloudy Day
- HEDGER: How Did You Become A SPEED SPORT Writer?
- Galaxy Note 9 release date, specs and price: 'Official' render reveals few changes from the Note 8
The day sport changed my life have 344 words, post on www.independent.ie at May 26, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.