Maria Sharapova has pulled out of this year’s French Open with a shoulder injury, the two-time former Roland Garros winner announced on Wednesday (May 15).
|Maria Sharapova won the French Open in 2014 and in 2012. (AFP/MIGUEL MEDINA)|
Sharapova, 32, a five-time Grand Slam champion, has not played since pulling out of a tournament in her native Russia at the end of January.
“Sometimes the right decisions aren’t always the easiest ones,” she said in a post on her Instagram account.
“In better news, I have returned to the practice court, and slowly building the strength back in my shoulder,” she added with a picture of her lifting the Roland Garros trophy in 2014.
In February the world number 35 said she had undergone a small procedure to fix a long-standing shoulder problem.
The former world number one had missed out on a place in the Australian Open quarter-finals in January.
Sharapova has been struggling back to top fitness since watching from the sidelines during her 15-month doping ban that ended in 2017.
This year’s French Open will run from May 26 until Jun 9, with Rafael Nadal and Simona Halep as defending champions.
- Djokovic 'the snake' tackles Berankis 'the spearfisher' at Roland Garros
- Djokovic eyes 10th Roland Garros semi-final
- Roland Garros | Djokovic survives a scare to make quarterfinals
- French Open 2021: Nadal sees off Norrie to remain on track at Roland Garros
- Djokovic admits ‘long shot’ to beat Nadal at Roland Garros
- Nadal, Djokovic cruise into second round at Roland Garros, Rublev crashes out
- French Open: Federer considers pulling out of Roland Garros after taxing win
- Serena looks to take advantage of open draw at Roland Garros
- French Open: Naomi Osaka makes winning start to her Roland Garros campaign; Angelique Kerber falls to defeat
- Playing Could Put Jimmy Garoppolo At Risk For More Severe Shoulder Injury
- Paul Gascoigne quits Celebrity Island over persistent shoulder injury
- Cameron Norrie primed for toughest battle in tennis - beating Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros
- Donny van de Beek’s nightmare season topped off as injury rules Holland ace out of Euros
- Kvitova out of French Open with freak injury
- Serena Williams Tops Sharapova As The World's Highest-Paid Female Athlete
- Toby Roland-Jones to undergo knee surgery after sustaining cartilage tear
- Monica Puig: Rio Olympic tennis gold medallist to miss Tokyo and rest of season after shoulder surgery
- China gives Li Na 'cold shoulder' decade on from changing tennis
- Serena Williams withdraws from French Open before second round match as injury has left her ‘struggling to walk’
- Dancing on Ice's series of catastrophes - family tragedy, Covid and freak injury with sock
Shoulder injury rules Sharapova out of Roland Garros have 414 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at May 15, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.