Royal Mail is set to launch their first ever parcel postboxes in Nottingham.
1,400 parcel postboxes will be introduced across the country in locations including Nottingham, the company revealed today.
The postal service will convert existing meter boxes to accommodate the postboxes, making them wider and more secure.
The initiative will be launched over a six month period from August this year following a successful trial in 2018.
It marks the first major change to the postbox in the last 160 years, and is the first time parcel postboxes have been widely introduced in the UK.
Royal Mail say that small businesses will be among those to benefit from their arrival.
Small businesses and marketplace sellers will be able to post pre-paid parcels in the same way that they currently post a letter.
Customers will also be able to post some return parcels at any time, seven days a week.
Things you never knew you needed to know
Mark Street, head of campaigns at Royal Mail, said: “The wide scale introduction of parcel postboxes is one of the many ways we at Royal Mail are looking to make the lives of our customers easier.
“The parcel postboxes trial last year was a success, and we hope that the wider roll-out gives added flexibility to online sellers who might be running a business in their spare time and not keeping regular office hours.”
Along with Nottingham, the postboxes will be introduced in locations across the UK including Birmingham, Leeds, Aberdeen and Cardiff.
- Royal Mail to launch parcel postboxes
- Royal Mail launches UK's first ever parcel postboxes in attempt to help online shoppers and eBayers
- The end of the postbox as we know it? Royal Mail trials parcel sized postboxes
- More than 260 season jobs up for grabs at Royal Mail in Nottingham
- How much is a first class stamp, who decides postage prices in the UK and what special sets has the Royal Mail released?
- Royal Mail postboxes are set to get bigger to take parcels in new trial
- Royal Mail launches trial for parcel postboxes
- New parcel postboxes launch in Notts
- Royal Mail to roll out parcel postboxes