An “extremely rare” sovereign minted in the same year as Queen Victoria’s birth is being put up for sale for £100,000. The gold coin, which was struck in 1819, is being made available through a ballot on July 12. The sovereign will be offered at a fixed price of £100,000 to reflect its rarity and high quality, the Royal Mint said. To be included in the ballot, people must apply online before June 28. They will need to have their application approved before the winner is selected at random. Ahead of the ballot, the sovereign will be on display at the Royal Mint Experience in Llantrisant, South Wales, from June 10. The Royal Mint said the coin has been sourced and verified by its historic coin experts. The 1819 George III sovereign was one of 3,574 to be struck that year. Two hundred years later, there are perhaps 10 such pieces left in the world, the Royal Mint said. Nicola Howell, director of consumer business at the Royal Mint, said: “We know there are people in the UK and beyond who value such treasures. “Making the coin available to purchase for a fixed price is an incredible opportunity for those… Read full this story
- 'Life is short': Read this Valentine's Day message sent more than 200 years ago
- How Silent Night became the sound of Christmas 200 years ago tonight
- Cork Chamber of Commerce plans to mark 200 years with €200k fundraiser for entrepreneurs
- New Iconic workspace to open in heart of The Liberties after renovation of 200-year-old building
- Student cracks code for divinity documents not read for 200 years
- Northern Ireland student cracks code for divinity documents not read for 200 years
- 'Missing link was still in trees two million years ago'
- Belfast pensioner to stand trial for indecently assaulting brother 60 years ago
- Belfast pensioner faces trial for alleged indecent assault on brother 60 years ago
- US governor urged to resign over racist photo taken over 30 years ago
Rare sovereign minted 200 years ago goes on sale for £100k have 314 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at May 23, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.