We know Daily Beast readers love reading and that many of you might be planning a literary sort of gift this coming Mother’s Day. We’ve already told you about books that could help make you productive, books that’ll improve your writing, and books by your favorite Daily Beast journalists. Now we’re giving you some inspiration for the best books to get the moms in your life — your wife, your sister-in-law, your actual mom — so she knows you care about what she’s interested in and not just about the unconditional love she provides. From women authors to travel tomes, here are some great options for your great mom.
Best-Selling Books by Female Authors
I certainly agree with my colleague, Scouted editor Jillian Lucas, about the importance of reading more from female authors. She wrote, “the best-seller list was chock full of fantastic female storytellers that broke boundaries and explored unknown territory.” Here are a few highlights from the 10 Best-Selling Books By Female Authors That You Should Read Right Now.
Becoming by Michelle Obama
“As First Lady of the United States of America—the first African American to serve in that role—she helped create the most welcoming and inclusive White House in history, while also establishing herself as a powerful advocate for women and girls in the U.S. and around the world, dramatically changing the ways that families pursue healthier and more active lives, and standing with her husband as he led America through some of its most harrowing moments.”
Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover
“Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, Tara Westover was seventeen the first time she set foot in a classroom. Her family was so isolated from mainstream society that there was no one to ensure the children received an education, and no one to intervene when one of Tara’s older brothers became violent. When another brother got himself into college, Tara decided to try a new kind of life. Her quest for knowledge transformed her, taking her over oceans and across continents, to Harvard and to Cambridge University.”
Essential Coffee Table Books
You know your mother’s coffee table better than most, and are certainly uniquely positioned to determine the best addition to its coffee table book library. Whether it’s Star Wars or New York Magazine anthologies she wants to impress on her guests, a solid and smart coffee table book can be a great gift this Mother’s Day. Here are a few highlights from our picks of the essential coffee table books.
Annie Leibovitz: Portraits 2005-2016 by Annie Leibovitz
“In this new collection, Leibovitz has captured the most influential and compelling figures of the last decade in the style that has made her one of the most beloved talents of our time. Each of the photographs documents contemporary culture with an artist’s eye, wit, and an uncanny ability to personalize even the most recognizable and distinguished figures.”
The Birds of America by John James Audubon
“Bound in cloth with a full cloth slipcase, this beautifully produced book is the first complete reproduction of Bien chromolithographs and will become the centerpiece of any bird lover’s library.”
Top Travel Coffee Table Books For The Homebody Explorer
For the Daily Beast’s Just Booked series, our travel writers feature some of their top picks for the best and most beautiful coffee table books. And whether your mom isn’t taking to the skies often or is a frequent traveler, this IRL experience-from-afar could be a perfect gift. Here are a few highlights from the Best Travel Coffee Table Books That Let You Explore The World Without Leaving Your Home.
The World’s Most Beautiful Libraries
“He focuses mostly on Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo, and Neoclassical European libraries and a handful of their descendants in the Americas. (Given how breathtaking Listri’s work is, one hopes there will be a follow-up volume on modern libraries around the globe.) From out-of-the-way phantasmagorical wonders like the libraries of Metten and Ulm to the dramatic Real Gabinete Português de Leitura in Rio de Janeiro, Listri captures these man-made wonders in all their splendor.” Learn more about the book from our travel experts.
Theater of the World by Thomas Reinertsen Berg
“The book gets its name from Flemish cartographer Abraham Ortelius’s atlas Theatrum orbis terrarum (Theater of the World). Like Ortelius, Berg has built upon generations of work and woven it into a digestible dive into everything from cartography to illustration and mapmaking. While not as hefty as some of our past selections, this mid-size book may be the most likely to cause you to lose a guest in its pages.” Learn more about the book from our travel experts.
Essential Cookbooks and Recipe Books For Her Kitchen
These are really essential for anyone and if you want to hit a meaningful nerve this Mother’s Day, invest in a gift that shows you appreciate all the meals you’ve had and all the gatherings ahead with a solid cookbook pick.
Salt Acid Fat Heat
Samin Nosrat is simply joyous when she’s in the kitchen. Through discussing the four essential ingredients to any meal — salt, acid, fat, and heat — she’ll help you understand cooking from a foundational level, giving you the confidence to improvise and create your own masterpieces in the kitchen.
Joy of Cooking Updated
A lot of my friends have held off on buying this one for themselves, saying their mother has a really cool edition. If they don’t, now’s the time to give her one she’ll love. Apparently, shopping for a book like this can be an obsessive sport, but I think this edition is fantastic. And plus, once your mother has imbued it with her love, it’ll only be that much more valuable (to you).
Scouted is internet shopping with a pulse. Follow us on Twitter and sign up for our newsletter for even more recommendations and exclusive content. Please note that if you buy something featured in one of our posts, The Daily Beast may collect a share of sales.
- The 10 Best Coffee Table Books for Movie Lovers
- Want to cash in on stamp duty relief? Experts reveals the subtle changes you should make to sell your home - from strategic coffee table books to the most attractive keywords to use in your ad
- The Best Comedy Books of 2016
- The 16 Best Comedy Books of 2014
- 'This book will shake the world'
- Rush’s Geddy Lee Talks Massive Bass Book, Meeting John Paul Jones
- The mother load: Lisa Taddeo on parenting in a pandemic
- Mike Birbiglia, Author of ‘The New One,’ Recommends Five Non-Celebrity Memoirs That’ll Make You Laugh and Cry
- Mother details her terrifying battle with postpartum psychosis, which left her hallucinating that her son's eyes turned into the devil's eyes - and that God told her the baby needed to die
- Mariah Carey's estranged sister Alison accuses their mother of forcing her to perform sex acts on strangers when she was 10 and being made to watch children being abused in satanic rituals in court filing
- Has the Queen forgiven her governess who wrote the original Royal tell-all book? Crawfie's name was a byword for betrayal - but now WENDY HOLDEN, a novelist who's studied her life, believes there's been a twist
- The king with one fat mistress AND a thin one. And the monarch with VERY poor hygiene: New book reveals the extraordinary sex lives of the royals who held court at Kensington Palace
- 'I hope me and Lewis will find harmony': Caroline Flack's tearful final message is revealed as her mother blasts the Crown Prosecution Service for pursuing a 'show trial' at inquest into Love Island presenter's tragic suicide
- Tom Hanks enjoys a day at sea as he relaxes on board his luxury yacht with wife Rita Wilson... after the couple were made citizens of Greece
- Author DL Jennings’ mom found his book at her local library. Her proud expression is making netizens’ smile
- Essay: Vidya Balan’s Shakuntala Devi biopic suggests the genius lied about her husband’s sexuality to sell her book
- George W. Bush is to release new book of portraits celebrating the 'countless ways' the US has been strengthened by immigrants
- Former Dance Moms stars, including JoJo Siwa and Mackenzie Ziegler, blast the 'traumatizing' reality show - as Nia Sioux brands coach Abby Lee Miller 'the biggest bully in America'
- Caroline Flack left handwritten note to boyfriend Lewis Burton on day of her death
- Over 500 Channel migrants land in Britain in just three days including a toddler today taking total arrivals this year over 4,000 as France demands £30million to stem the tide
Memoirs, Cookbooks, and Coffee Table Books to Get Your Mom For Mother's Day have 1466 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at May 3, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.