The Government is under pressure to nationalise British Steel in order to save jobs. Labour and trade unions demanded Ministers bring the business into public ownership – but the call has also been taken up by Conservative MP Simon Clarke, who represents Middlesbrough South and East. He confirmed his backing for partial or total nationalisation, amid fears that 700 Teesside jobs could be lost immediately, with thousands more hit in the long term. County Durham firm Hargreaves Services also warned on Wednesday morning that 170 jobs would be at risk if the company failed due to contracts it has with the firm. Speaking in the House of Commons, Mr Clarke urged Ministers: “May I emphasise the case for public ownership or, indeed, a public-private partnership in order to serve as a bridge to new ownership? “The priority is to save jobs. Everything else – all matters of ideology – must come second.” His comments echo a statement issued by Labour shadow business secretary Rebecca Long Bailey, who said:”The Government must act quickly to save this strategically important industry and the livelihoods and communities of those who work in it, by bringing British Steel into public ownership.” Unions have issued a similar plea. GMB General… Read full this story
- Hero dog saves British soldiers’ lives by ‘ripping out terrorist’s throat’
- Government urged to set up $1bn fund to help farmers protect the environment
- Liberal government urged to bring back home economics in Ontario high schools
- Federal government urged to help Roma refugee clients of disciplined lawyers
- Canadian government urged to adopt ethical sourcing policy
- Federal government urged to suspend refugee pact with U.S.
- Metals Tycoon Sanjeev Gupta To Merge Steel Operations Ahead Of Possible IPO
- CA Gov. Slams PG&E 'Greed,' Urges Inquiry, Customer Refunds
- Letter: Resident Urges Support For Schain For ZBA In Cheshire
- Government firm with goals of macroeconomic stability, inflation control
Government urged to save British Steel by nationalising it have 313 words, post on www.chroniclelive.co.uk at May 24, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.