Taylor Swift’s Billboard Music Awards performance of her new single “ME!” has been called a copy of Beyonce’s Coachella performance.
Taylor Swift is a superstar that never stops generating controversies, but the latest one is a bonafide stan war.
Last night on the 2019 Billboard Music Awards, Swift opened the show with an epic performance of her new hit single “ME!,” featuring Panic! At the Disco lead singer Brendon Urie. The performance was grand and replicated the cheery fun of the video, but a segment of Twitter users saw something that burned them to their souls.
Swift’s BBMAs performance, they claim, closely looked like a replica of Beyonce’s epic Homecoming performance at last year’s Coachella Festival.
Beyonce didn’t invent a drum line but you can’t convince me that Taylor Swift, from her early years on a Christmas tree farm, came up with this just like that 😂 Sorry.
— Lil Conch Snack 🐚 (@abbracadabra_) May 2, 2019
taylor swift watched homecoming by beyonce ONCE and thought “now THIS is something i can steal from women of color again”
— arabesque 🍜 (@tshavntuj916) May 2, 2019
Swift’s fanbase did not hold back and went to work defending their Queen:
People were bound to drag Taylor for something. People are always ready in the wings to be a critic of comparisons. Yep, Bey created the marching band. She’s the ONLY one who can have one. Right. Forgot. Taylor can breathe and people will say she’s appropriating oxygen. 🤦🏿♀️
— CreaTIFFly.Made (@lovelyt504) May 2, 2019
Are we pretending Beyonce isnt known for thievery 👀
— Queen Missandei 👑🌹🌻 (@BlackMagic23) May 2, 2019
The girl has never done a racist thing in her life and you still want to come for her? Use your energy on actual problems.
— Keira ✨ (@getawayswiftie1) May 2, 2019
The whole episode is utterly ridiculous.
Beyonce’s Homecoming set is one that will forever be in the history books. No performance, from no other artist or genre, can ever touch it.
However, the backlash that Swift is receiving is the result of long-held hate for the pop superstar, which is a shame because she really hasn’t done anything to deserve that kind of backlash. Beyonce fans will scream to the mountain top that Swift appropriated the Homecoming performance, and that was her intention.
More from Music
- P!nk finds the beauty in the trauma on Hurts 2B Human: Track-by-track review
- Taylor Swift’s new single ‘ME!’ sends Twitter into a tizzy
- Taylor Swift’s April 26 countdown, explained
- Beyonce surpise album details: Homecoming live album tracklist and streaming
- Twitter reacts to Beyonce’s Homecoming Netflix documentary and live album
Well, we just can’t know.
I think that Beyonce fans saw Swift use the marching band (which she also used in the video version of “ME!) and instantly put two-and-two together. Swift could even have gotten Beyonce’s blessing for the performance, but that still wouldn’t be enough to quell the anger directed toward Swift.
Can’t we love Beyonce and Swift at the same time without sparring against each other? Beyonce and Taylor Swift are both queens of the music world that few modern-day artists will ever rise up to, and the love of their music shouldn’t be topped by anger and discontent toward each other.
Let’s stop the madness, folks.
- Taylor Swift dances wildly in new Apple Music advert less than a year after bitter dispute
- Taylor Swift? Cardi B? The 2019 Grammy Nominations’ Snubs and Surprises
- Taylor Swift, Arcade Fire Talk ‘Hunger Games’
- 2019 MTV VMAs: Outrageous moments from Miley Cyrus, Beyonce, Taylor Swift and more from VMAs past
- Travis Reinking: How did Waffle House suspect get guns after ban?
- Kanye’s Donda Should Be Apple’s ‘One More Thing’ This Fall
- Beyoncé's handwritten birthday thank you message to fans: "We have grown up together"
- 'Jagged' Review: A Documentary Looks Back at When - and Why - Alanis Morissette Ruled
- MTV's Video Music Awards are on again. Here's why they matter
- How many of these iconic VMAs performances do you remember?
- 'MTV VMAs' Review: From Lil Nas X's 'Gay Agenda' to Machine Gun Kelly's Rock Agenda, a Return to Live Has Some Lively Moments
- Miriam Margolyes avoids Ofcom investigation after wishing Boris Johnson dead despite downpour of backlash
- Why isn't Strictly Come Dancing on BBC One tonight, and how long will this series run?
- In a new documentary, Alanis Morissette makes multiple allegations of statutory rape. But she won't attend its premiere.
- Biggest celeb bust ups - Justin Bieber brawl to Kim Kardashian nudity row
- Brit Awards 2021: The best outfits from the red carpet and ceremony
- 2019 Grammy Nominations: Kendrick Lamar, Drake and Women Lead the Way
- 2013 in Music: The Good, the Problematic, the GIFs
- RIP Oscars? Who needs glamorous awards shows when Netflix, Amazon, Disney and Apple tell you what to watch
- Kelly Clarkson Is Nobody’s Puppet
Did Taylor Swift copy Beyonce’s Coachella perfomance? have 804 words, post on fansided.com at May 2, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.