Six European consumer rights associations said Friday they have asked national authorities to look into illegal practices by firms using the AliExpress site of Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba. Buyers in European countries enjoy the right to return goods within two weeks and get clear warranty information about the minimum 2-year warranty period, rules that platforms that host third-party sellers have sometimes found difficult to enforce. Consumer rights groups in Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain asked their national regulators to look into practices on AliExpress, which mostly hosts Chinese sellers. “If Alibaba wants to trade on the European market, it must respect the rules that apply here. That is not negotiable,” said Sandra Molenaar, head of the Dutch consumer association Consumentenbond. The Consumentenbond also noted that AliExpress’ terms and conditions force consumers to go to arbitration in Hong Kong if they have any dispute, while EU laws give them the right to go to courts in their own country. French consumer group UFC-Que Choisir meanwhile said that French clients were not being provided with documentation in French. France’s DGCCRF anti-fraud office said it took the complaint seriously, as did AliExpress. “We will look attentively at the complaint… Read full this story
- Consumer complaints, closings pile up for LightRx medical spa
- No-Call Law violation was top of 2018 consumer complaints
- Telemarketing tops Wisconsin consumer complaints in 2018
- Here’s the top 5 consumer complaints for the Alabama attorney general’s office
- Here are the top 5 consumer complaints for the Alabama attorney general’s office
- Camp Hill officials face criminal complaints by resident over lack of transparency
- Quincy allegedly dumped sewage and ‘untreated wastewater’ into Boston Harbor. Now the city is facing a complaint.
- Sen. Kristen Gillibrand faced #MeToo complaint in own office: report
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand faced #MeToo complaint in own office: report
- After hundreds of crashes, this BOB jogging stroller faced recall. Then Trump appointees stepped in.
Alibaba faces consumer complaints in Europe have 319 words, post on en.rfi.fr at May 17, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.