0 Have your say An alternative atlas of Scotland is set to see some of its most famous landmarks, monuments, attractions and addresses renamed after notable women. Historical novelist Sara Sheridan has created a guidebook featuring hundreds of true stories, which she says will “reveal a new picture of Scotland’s history and heritage.”She hopes it will tackle the “male-dominated histories that have been repeated for generations.” It highlights where women are already honoured across Scotland, but also “reimagines” a different Scotland which recognises its “outstanding female heritage”, either by renaming existing places or suggesting suitable new tributes.Publicity material for the book, Where Are The Women?, to be published next month by the Scottish Government’s heritage agency, says it will be “dedicated to real women, telling their often untold or unknown stories.” Historic Environment Scotland said it would celebrate women who had been “sidelined, if not silenced, by men who named the built environment after themselves.”Edinburgh-born Sheridan suggests the city creates new honours for the likes of Dame Elsie Inglis, who set up the Scottish Women’s Hospitals in the First World War, at Edinburgh Castle, the author Dame Muriel Spark in Princes Street Gardens. She suggests St Andrew Square is instead… Read full this story
- Underwear revolution: how lingerie grew up and put women’s comfort first
- Skin cancer cases in Scotland rise by almost a third
- In maps: How close was the Scottish referendum vote?
- Menstrual cups: Stemming the flow of single-use period waste in Scotland
- The 'scandal' of Scotland's longest gangland trial
- Ballot briefing: How Labour plans would affect Scotland
- Women in farming excluded by 'outdated attitudes'
- Women's World Cup Review: England victorious as Brazil's Cristiane overtakes Ronaldo in record books
- Where have all the women gone?
- Free sanitary products scheme expands in Scotland
Writer puts women of Scotland on map at last have 301 words, post on www.scotsman.com at April 20, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.