TORY rebels backing a Norway-style Brexit were on Sunday night on the brink of securing the support of the SNP in a huge breakthrough. Sources close to the Scottish Nationalists said party chiefs were “in ongoing discussions” about whether to vote as a bloc for the Common Market 2.0 proposal set to go before MPs in Monday’s second vote on Brexit alternatives. The party ‘abstained’ in last week’s first round. The SNP’s support would hand a critical 34 extra votes to the plan pushed by Tory MP Nick Boles and Labour’s Lucy Powell, and potentially push the Norway option above a permanent Customs Union. One insider said: “The SNP is obviously pro-Remain first and foremost but Norway includes guarantees over the single market and free movement, regionally too, which are critical.” The move came as backers of various different Brexit options said they believed as many as 40 Tory Ministers and ministerial aides were “in play”and could swing the outcome. The Sun last week revealed that most junior Tory Ministers abstained or voted against different proposals in the first round of Indicative Votes to make the PM’s own Brexit agreement look more attractive.most read in brexitLive BlogHEAD TO HEAD ITV… Read full this story
- These Conservative rebels believe support for a Norway-style soft Brexit is at a tipping point
- Tory rebels slam Boris Johnson's 'aggressive' threats over titanic Brexit showdown TONIGHT as Philip Hammond vows 'fight of a lifetime' against deselection and Justine Greening QUITS as an MP
- The British public now backs a second Brexit referendum
- Theresa May risks defeat as Labour joins with Tory rebels in plot to stay in EU customs union
- In letter to nation, PM Theresa May urges UK public to back her on Brexit
- News Dowdy no more: Men in suits storm back into style
- Tories propose Norway-style bridge to Canada-style Brexit
- Tory leadership: Jeremy Hunt 'expects' Brexit by Christmas
- Norwegians nonplussed at 'Norway-plus' Brexit idea
- British PM Theresa May warns rebels: Back me or risk 'no Brexit at all'
Tory rebels backing a Norway-style Brexit are on the brink of securing SNP support have 339 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at April 1, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.