South Korean President Moon Jae-in will meet with President Trump in Washington on Thursday in an effort to jump-start stalled diplomatic talks with North Korea. It will be his first face-to-face meeting with Mr. Trump since February’s inconclusive summit in Hanoi. The whirlwind, one-day trip is of critical timing and pivotal importance to Moon, who faces record-low domestic approval ratings – now below 50 percent from a high of nearly 90 percent – and the specter of consequential legislative elections next April.Although Mr. Trump has said that he is “in no rush” to see North Korea denuclearize provided it does not resume missile testing, Moon is staring down a number of symbolic dates by which the success of his administration’s overtures to the North is likely to be judged. April 27 will mark the one-year anniversary of Moon’s first meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and the first inter-Korean summit in over a decade. The second-year anniversary of Moon’s inauguration is on May 10. The first Trump-Kim summit in Singapore took place on June 12, and the first anniversary of Moon’s trip to Pyongyang follows in September. Each one serves as a meaningful benchmark in negotiations with the… Read full this story
- South Korean President Accepts Resignation of Unification Minister
- South Korean President Election Procedure
- The Latest: Trump says peace talks with Taliban are dead
- South Korea Urges North to Keep Up Joint Peace Efforts Following Communication Cut-Off
- Why Is Trump Letting Moon Jae-in Hand South Korea to Kim Jong Un?
- South Korea's Moon replaces some aides amid falling ratings
- North Korea: Troops to be deployed to South Korean border as Pyongyang rips up peace agreement
- A South Korean lawmaker has come under fire for her outfit. Her offense? She wore a dress
- Mayor of South Korean capital found dead after 7-hour search
- South Korean coach backtracks on HCMC FC resignation
South Korean president Moon Jae-in appeals to Trump to revive peace talks have 312 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at April 10, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.