Seattle Seahawks and Russell Wilson have agreed to a four-year extension worth a reported $US140 million ($NZ207m), making the quarterback the highest-paid player in the NFL.
The deal, which includes a $US65 million ($NZ96m) signing bonus and no-trade clause, was reached late on Monday night (local time).
Wilson confirmed the new deal in a Twitter post early Wednesday (NZ time).
“Hey Seattle, we got a deal,” Wilson says from his bed, next to wife Ciara.
“Go Hawks. But I’ma see y’all in the morning. Time for y’all to go to bed.”
Wilson’s reported annual average of $US35 million ($US51.7m) tops the blockbuster extension signed last summer by Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers at $US33.5 million ($NZ49.5m).
Rodgers’ deal included a $US57.5 million ($NZ85m) signing bonus, also topped by Wilson.
ESPN and the Seattle PI reported the terms of the deal. Wilson, 30, is contractually tied to Seattle through the 2023 season.
The Seahawks were up against a deadline of late Monday night to reach a deal with Wilson, who had vowed not to discuss an extension, if the sides couldn’t reach a deal by midnight.
Wilson’s agent, Mark Rodgers, arrived at team headquarters last Friday to hammer out a deal, according to ESPN.
“At the end of the day, my guy wants to live, work, thrive in Seattle,” Rodgers told ESPN on Tuesday.
“Loves this town and its fans. He compromised to stay here – I respect that.”
Wilson is a five-time Pro Bowl selection, who posted career-highs in passing touchdowns (35) and passer-rating (110.9) in 2018.
He has thrown for 25,624 yards and 196 touchdowns in his seven-year career. He has started all 112 games he has played for the Seahawks.
- Russell Wilson gives HUGE hint to Seahawks over upcoming contract demands
- NFL rumors: Seahawks’ Russell Wilson could sign huge extension soon
- Russell Wilson gives Seahawks less than TWO weeks to agree a new deal
- Russell Wilson: Seahawks star could delay contract talks because of Patrick Mahomes
- Russell Wilson: Seahawks QB needs to do THIS to secure $200m contract - Whitlock
- Tuesday's NFL: Russell Wilson strikes huge payday with Seattle Seahawks
- Here’s what Pete Carroll had to say Monday about Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor
- 'He secured the bag!': Twitter reacts to NFL star Russell Wilson's record-breaking new contract
- Seahawks trade down, draft RB Rashaad Penny in first round