Scientists fear the survival of a distinct species of brown trout, which has never been seen before and was only discovered in recent years, is under threat from non-native fish being introduced to pristine Scottish waters. The rare trout, which could be a new vertebrate species for the UK, is one of four forms found in Loch Laidon in Highland Perthshire. The same team of experts also detected three forms of Arctic charr in nearby Loch Rannoch, and similar diversity in Lochs Tummel and Ericht. The freshwater fish are examples of evolution in action in Scotland since the last Ice Age 10,000 years ago, and reveal far greater diversity than previously suspected in some of the country’s most picturesque lochs. Ron Greer, an independent fisheries ecologist, who was the first person to see the new deep water species in Loch Laidon, describes the Perthshire lochs as an “archipelago of biological islands”. He said the different forms also debunk the common view that all brown trout are the same. He claims the discoveries are as “gobsmacking” as the diversity in finches that Charles Darwin found on the Galapagos. But he also fears that exotic fish – pike, roach and rudd -… Read full this story
- Scientists Fear Platypuses Could Go Extinct Due Droughts in Australia, Study Finds
- As gray whale migration reaches its peak, scientists fear another unexplained die-off
- Golf tycoons want to raid Scotland. It is our duty to defend its beauty
- Temperatures hit 31C in Scotland's warmest June day in 23 years
- Ex-UK leader Gordon Brown enters Scotland independence fray
- Coronavirus: Case 'highly likely' to be found in Scotland in coming days
- Addicts' deaths highlight Scotland's drugs crisis
- What does the next Labour leader think about Scotland?
- Brown Rice Vs White Rice: Which Is The Healthier Option?
- Herman Van Rompuy says Brexit 'has changed EU view of Scotland'
Scientists fear 'distinct species' of brown trout never seen before is at risk in Scotland's 'Galapagos lochs' have 308 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at April 16, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.