WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT: Josh remembers yelling over and over for her to stop. But she didn’t. He has to deal with people asking ‘how a 6 foot 3 guy could be raped’ or ‘why I didn’t like it’.
“Let’s take the gender out of it. Trauma is trauma,” he said.
Josh spoke to CTV as part of its Challenge the Silence series. One in six boys will be sexually abused before they are 18. In this video series, 10 men have told their stories. All grew up believing they were the only ones it had happened to. Now they want other victims to know they are not alone and, if they are ready, help is there for them.
He said for a number of years he did not remember what had happened and “deliberately pushed it all down”.
“And it hit me when I was actually at a festival with a whole bunch of people.
“I woke up and I was feeling really vulnerable.”
He had not felt that way in a long time and when he asked himself: “When had I felt like this before?” it all came back.
“That was a confusing time for me and it took about three months to work out what even happened to me.”
Josh said he was raped by someone he knew.
He doesn’t remember much about the rape, except that he yelled “not like this” several times.
“I don’t remember what happened after that.
“That moment’s still hard for me to deal with obviously.”
After remembering the rape, Josh suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
The “constant” anxiety wore him down, and the PTSD also affected his relationships and confidence.
“You feel like you are the only one.
“You really do.”
After trying to deal with what had happened himself he eventually sought help.
“If I wanted to get better I had no choice.”
Getting that help and talking to other men who had suffered from sexual abuse had helped.
He believed the extent of the problem was not known because men did not talk.
“It’s a hidden thing.”
Need to talk? 1737, free 24/7 phone and text number
Healthline: 0800 611-116
Lifeline Aotearoa: 0800 543-354
Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828-865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
Samaritans: 0800 726-666
Alcohol Drug Helpline: 0800 787-797
General mental health inquiries: 0800 443-366
The Depression Helpline: 0800 111-757
Youthline: 0800 376-633, txt 234 or [email protected]
What’s Up (for 5-18 year olds; 1pm-11pm): 0800 942-8787
Tone Miller, Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Dunedin/Invercargill: 0211987878.
- Armie Hammer denies ‘outrageous’ allegation he ‘violently’ raped woman in 2017
- Woman asks if she's childish or wife material after making 'world's unhealthiest dinner'
- Woman asks people to share 'best things' they've learned in therapy and gets hundreds of helpful responses
- Wonder Woman 1984's Diana Is a Trash Friend
- Navy Hearing in Rape Case Raises Alarm
- Ex Rochdale AFC goalkeeper, 23, raped and sexually abused woman and six underage girls including one as young as seven, court hears
- I Am Breaking My Silence About the Baseball Player Who Raped Me
- Did SUV Have 'Enough Space' For Rape To Take Place? Vadodara Police's Request For Report Has RTO Puzzled
- Dance helps Congo's rape survivors cope
- Naval Academy Is Shaken by Student’s Report of Rape by Athletes
- 'Upsetting': Bilawal responds to PM Imran Khan's comments on rape
- Review: ‘The Hunting Ground’ Documentary, a Searing Look at Campus Rape
- Woman’s Disappearance Prompts Outcry Over Safety on London’s Streets
- She Was Raped: The Enduring Trauma
- 'What of the little children?': Maryam Nawaz berates PM Imran Khan on rape comments
- Under Alabama's abortion ban, doctors who perform abortions on rape victims could get more prison time than rapists
- Army officer says she was raped, but Supreme Court ruling blocks her from justice
- Rape convictions MUST be 'drastically' improved immediately - Priti Patel warns police
- Rape victims' therapy guidance needs urgent review - Labour
- 'We were forced to mate like dogs': The Handmaid's Tale was real life for Khmer Rouge survivors
Raped by a woman: They ask 'why didn't I like it' have 642 words, post on www.odt.co.nz at April 18, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.