Princess Diana and Prince Charles married in their fairytale 1981 wedding ceremony but, by 1996, their famously tumultuous marriage had ended in divorce. The couple separated in 1992, the Queen’s “annus horribilis” that also saw Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew separate, Princess Anne divorce, and the devastating fire at Windsor Castle. That year, the bombshell book “Diana: Her True Story” hit the shelves, by journalist Andrew Morton, which sent shockwaves rippling through the Royal Family.
What the shocked and mesmerised public did not know at the time was that the book was actually written with the help of Diana herself, who would record tapes to hand over to Mr Morton via her friend James Colthurst.
Mr Morton spoke to Channel 5 documentary “Royals at War”, which aired last month, and described his own surprise at hearing Diana’s voice “like a prisoner in a cell”.
He said: “She was absolutely miserable and she felt she was like a prisoner of the Palace. She felt she needed to speak out.
“Well, she chose me, thankfully, because I was independent and I was sympathetic to her cause.
“Nothing prepared me for the cascade of information, and the controversy that the book aroused.”
Mr Morton continued: “Boy, was I surprised.
“I put my headphones on, switched on the tape recorder and out came this cascade of emotion.
“She was speaking like a prisoner in a cell who just had a few minutes to get the story out.
“There was talk of her misery, of her unhappiness.
“It was totally, utterly shocking.
“I felt like I’d entered a parallel universe.”
The documentary also hears from royal experts on the relationship between the Princess of Wales and Sarah Ferguson.
Although the pair were firm friends at first, the two royal women had their ups and downs, with a furious Diana leaking the news of Fergie and Prince Andrew’s separation in 1992.
After Prince Charles and Princess Diana separated, Diana had a serious relationship with heart surgeon Hasnat Khan.
Friends of the princess have called Khan the “love of her life”, however the pair split just before Diana’s untimely death in 1997.
- How Princess Diana changed education for the royal family
- Duke of Sussex says camera clicks and flashes remind him of Princess Diana's death
- Kate Middleton pays tribute to Princess Diana at Queen's garden party
- This Princess Diana Instagram chronicles her best revenge looks - and we're obsessed
- Princess Diana's ball gown was found in a secondhand shop
- Kate Middleton follows in Princess Diana's footsteps wearing traditional Chitrali hat in Pakistan
- Royal news: 15 rare facts about Princess Diana on her death anniversary
- Kate and Princess Diana's fake photo goes viral
- George Clooney comes out in support of Meghan Markle, compares her to Princess Diana
- The royals love leopard print fashion! From Kate Middleton to Meghan Markle, Princess Diana and the Queen
- Royal chef Darren McGrady recalls cooking for Princess Diana, Prince Harry and Prince William
- Video: From Princess Diana to Kate Middleton, a look back at their pre-royal days
- Princess Diana's wedding dress designer reveals favourite gown
- Princess Diana's makeup artist reveals why the royal wouldn't wear fake eyelashes
- Princess Diana's niece Lady Kitty Spencer, 28, stuns in a striking headpiece and ombre dress as she arrives at the 2019 Melbourne Cup
- Prince Harry Describes Mother Princess Diana's Death as 'a Wound That Festers'
- Video: Prince Charles’ style evolution - from debonaire bachelor to his casual style after his marriage to Princess Diana to dignified statesman
- The Royal Family make HUGE error in Twitter post
- Prince Charles looks just like Prince Harry in incredible royal family throwback photo
- Mike and Zara Tindall's daughter Mia steals the show during day out with royal family
Princess Diana 'was miserable and like a PRISONER in a cell' within Royal Family have 647 words, post on www.express.co.uk at April 3, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.