Chicago is one of six cities where Lyft is offering free rides on Earth Day, which is being celebrated for the 50th year on Monday.
The promotion comes after a controversial deal approved by the Chicago City Council make Lyft the exclusive operator of the city’s Divvy bike-rental service.
Lyft’s Earth Day offer isn’t for its ride-hailing car service, but rather is a way to encourage the “carbon-free” use of bicycles in Lyft’s bike-share networks across the country, according to a blog post on the company website.
In Chicago, that means a free day of unlimited Divvy rides with an “Explorer Pass,” good for three free hours at a time. After three hours, the bike must be docked; Divvy has 580 in the Chicago area.
The Explorer pass, which usually costs $15, can be downloaded with the Divvy app by entering promo code EARTHDAY19.
New York, Washington, D.C., Minneapolis, Portland, Oregon and Columbus, Ohio, are the other cities where the free rides are being offered.
The first Earth Day, in 1970, was intended to highlight a range of environmental concerns. Today, the goal is to address climate change and the use of fossil fuels by changing behavior as well as public policy.
Lyft’s Earth Day campaign was announced Friday, a little more than a week after the City Council OK’d a deal for the ride-hailing company to become the exclusive provider of the city’s bike-share services.
The nine-year deal calls for Divvy to go citywide by 2021 with a total of 16,500 bikes docked at 800 stations.
- Lyft Offering Free Rides To Bay Area Cooling Center
- Taxi drivers in Da Nang offer free rides to pregnant women
- Uber, Lyft win last-minute reprieve: Ride-hailing to continue in California
- Uber and Lyft ride-hailing shutdown in California: What you need to know
- Uber and Lyft could shut down in California this week. It may not help their cause
- What Happens If Uber and Lyft Flee California? Look at Austin
- Pot blasts kettle: Bill tears into fellow impeached President Trump accusing him of spending 'hours a day watching TV' - labeling his Oval Office 'chaos' and saying America leads world in unemployment in wake of COVID - as he backs Biden at DNC
- Best Prime Day Gaming Deals 2020: What to expect
- 'I thought I was getting a motorbike, I got a three-tonne truck!' 99-year-old VJ Day veteran enjoys Zoom chat with Princess Anne - as the royal continues her 70th birthday celebrations at Gatcombe
- Chicago Police: Violence drops after 2 new units rolled out
- Chicago Mayor Blames Other States With 'No Gun Control' for City's Increasing Violence
- Free stuff for University of Arizona students you usually find out about far too late
- Chicago says students will stay home, New York erects COVID-19 checkpoints
- Charlie Rose FIRED by CBS and PBS one day after 13 WOMEN accuse the exalted newsman of unwanted sexual advances as his co-hosts reveal their shock and horror at lewd and nude allegations
- Did a Cycling App That Turns Casual Rides Into Time Trials Play a Role in the Central Park Bike Death?
- I Spent Two Terrifying Days Imprisoned In Belarus
- Manchester City 1-3 Lyon: Moussa Dembele double sees City knocked out of Champions League again
- 'Come out Gavin': Hundreds of furious students descend on Westminster for day three of angry protests over A-Level grades chaos as they call for education secretary to be sacked
- Nelson Mandela Day: A virtual footprint of Madiba in South Africa
- Now all schools will be able to appeal for FREE against A-level grades amid fears marking fiasco is set to hit GCSE children next week too
Lyft offers free pass for Earth Day rides in Chicago, five other cities have 620 words, post on chicago.suntimes.com at April 20, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.