News / World by Press Association 25/04/2019, 1:03 pm Updated: 25/04/2019, 3:07 pm Send us a story Sign up to our Daily newsletter Former US vice president Joe Biden has formally joined the crowded Democratic presidential contest, declaring the soul of the nation at stake if President Donald Trump wins re-election. In a video posted on Twitter, Mr Biden focused on the 2017 deadly clash between white supremacists and counter protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia. Mr Biden noted Mr Trump’s comments that there were some “very fine people” on both sides of the violent encounter, which left one woman dead. “We are in the battle for the soul of this nation,” Mr Biden said. “If we give Donald Trump eight years in the White House, he will forever and fundamentally alter the character of this nation — who we are. “And I cannot stand by and watch that happen.” The 76-year-old Mr Biden becomes an instant front-runner alongside Vermont senator Bernie Sanders, who is leading many polls and has proved to be a successful fundraiser. Among Democrats, Mr Biden has unmatched international and legislative experience, and he is among the best-known faces in US politics. He quickly racked up endorsements on… Read full this story
- Senator Sherrod Brown Knows How to Save the Soul of the Democratic Party
- The Hill's 12:30 Report: Sanders drops out of 2020 race
- Biden campaign braces for general election: 'This is the beginning of a very difficult race'
- How the Bernie Sanders Movement Reshaped the Democratic Party Forever
- Mayor Muriel Bowser on the impact of the COVID-19 crisis on the nation's capital
Joe Biden says he is fighting for ‘soul of the nation’ in White House race have 254 words, post on www.eveningexpress.co.uk at April 25, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.