Flames that began in the early evening burst rapidly through the roof of the centuries-old cathedral and engulfed the spire, which toppled, quickly followed by the entire roof. As it burned into the evening, firefighters battled to prevent one of the main bell towers from collapsing. One firefighter was seriously injured – the only reported casualty. “We now believe that the two towers of Notre-Dame have been saved,” Paris fire chief Jean-Claude Gallet told reporters at the scene. “We now consider that the main structure of Notre-Dame has been saved and preserved.” There was still a risk that some of the interior structures could collapse, and firefighters would work overnight to cool them down, he said. Distraught Parisians and stunned tourists gazed in disbelief as the inferno raged at the cathedral, which sits on the Ile de la Cite, an island in the River Seine and marks the very centre of Paris. Thousands of onlookers lined bridges over Seine and along its embankments, held at a distance by a police cordon. World leaders expressed shock and sent condolences to the French people. President Emmanuel Macron said the whole nation was distressed. “Like all our compatriots, I am sad this evening… Read full this story
- Rebuilding of Paris' Notre Dame Stalled as Pandemic Rages
- Covid lockdown hits pause on Notre-Dame's rebirth one year after fire
- 'It's a miracle': hundreds of thousands of bees survive Notre Dame fire
- A year after blaze, Notre Dame restoration halted by virus
- Fire-Damaged Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris to Hold Good Friday Mass on 10 April – Reports
- Still scarred, Notre Dame lives anew in coronavirus crisis
- Slovakia's philharmonic ensembles will play concerts in tribute to Notre Dame
- Losing Notre Dame Cathedral feels personal to people all over the world
- Notre Dame Cathedral One Year On After Devastating Fire
- Notre-Dame review – an engrossing history of 'the soul of France'
In Pictures: Fire guts Paris' Notre-Dame, but structure saved from destruction have 309 words, post on www.independent.ie at April 15, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.