The daffodils are in bloom, there’s blossom on the trees and Easter is only a few weeks away. You might say that Spring is well and truly “in the air”. But spring doesn’t officially start in the northern hemisphere until the vernal equinox, when the day and night are exactly equal in length. After this, you’ll start to notice the days getting longer and the nights getting shorter, all the way up until the summer solstice. But when is the vernal equinox in 2019 and how is it celebrated? Here’s what you need to know. What is the spring equinox? The word equinox is Latin for “equal night”. This refers to there being exactly 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness. It occurs twice each year – once in March and once in September. Days and nights vary in length, because the Earth is tilted 23.5 degrees relative to the plane of its orbit around the Sun. During the summer time, the Northern Hemisphere is tilted towards the Sun, so we get longer days as more light falls on this part of the planet. In the winter time, it’s the Southern Hemisphere that gets the majority of the light. During the spring equinox,… Read full this story
- Taita Taveta Governor Samboja to know fate in 10 days
- 440m train trips expected during 40-day travel rush
- 440m railway trips expected for 2020 Spring Festival
- What time is the Melbourne Cup and how do I place a bet? All the key information you need to know ahead of the race that stops a nation
- Asbestos, looting plague Colorado Springs apartments
- It's not too late! These are the important delivery date cut-off points you need to know before ordering online this Christmas
- The truth about going vegan: Dietitian reveals what you REALLY need to know about a plant-based diet - after a Netflix show made it soar in popularity
- If You Buy One Thing on Prime Day, Make It This Garmin Watch
- New Day editor Alison Phillips: 'We threw out all previous thinking'
- ‘My Kids Give Me Hope’: Fort Lauderdale Mother Of 5 In Desperate Need Of Help This Holiday Season
What you need to know about the vernal equinox ahead of the first day of Spring have 359 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 20, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.