Why do we wait until someone has passed away before we honour them? I believe we should overcome our embarrassment, and say it while they are with us. In this spirit, I want to tell you about the world-changing work of Polly Higgins. She is a barrister who has devoted her life to creating an international crime of ecocide. This means serious damage to, or destruction of, the natural world and the Earth’s systems. It would make the people who commission it – such as chief executives and government ministers – criminally liable for the harm they do to others, while creating a legal duty of care for life on Earth. I believe it would change everything. It would radically shift the balance of power, forcing anyone contemplating large-scale vandalism to ask themselves: “Will I end up in the international criminal court for this?” It could make the difference between a habitable and an uninhabitable planet. There are no effective safeguards preventing a few powerful people, companies or states from wreaking havoc for the sake of profit or power. Though their actions may lead to the death of millions, they know they can’t be touched. Their impunity, as they engage… Read full this story
- Mother used witchcraft to avoid genital mutilation prosecution
- Illegal Muslim school prosecuted in a landmark trial in London
- ICC sentences militant to nine years for destruction of Timbuktu
- Former President Carter To Be Tried For Peace Crimes
- Mississippi Man First to Be Sentenced Under Federal Hate Crime Law for Murder of Trans Girlfriend
- First the Bill, Then the Work: Hate Crimes Legislation Passes
- For the first time ever, the DOJ is prosecuting the murder of a transgender woman as a hate crime
- Why is this Iranian-American's fatal stabbing not being prosecuted as a hate crime?
- Perhaps I've Been A Little Too Tough On Crime
- Bever defense attorney objects to number of crime-scene photos prosecution wants to show jurors
The destruction of the Earth is a crime. It should be prosecuted have 314 words, post on www.theguardian.com at March 28, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.