Unlike Princess Diana, Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, was “unable to fend off public criticism”, Ingrid Seward writes in a 1995 biography. The Duchess, otherwise known as Fergie, was in a position where she had to accept the life of a naval wife as she was only able to see her husband, Prince Andrew, for 44 days a year as he was away with the Royal Navy. However, Ms Seward claims that, even if she had adapted to this lifestyle, the “Palace Guard would have closed ranks around her”.
In “Prince Edward: A Biography”, Ms Seward writes: “Had she [Sarah] accepted the life of a naval wife, and stuck it out with Prince Andrew, forsaken her jet-setting friends and knuckled down to the often tedious round of official duties, the Palace Guard would have closed ranks around her.”
However, according to the biography, Sarah “took the decision to to try to break loose and promptly found herself frozen out by the Palace machine”.
In 2012 book “Prince Andrew: The War Hero from Buckingham Palace”, author Jessica Jayne reveals that their marriage began to break down soon after the wedding ceremony.
Looking back on the early years of her marriage, Fergie recalled: “Two weeks after the wedding, the royal courtiers told Andrew, who thought he’d be stationed in London, ‘you have to go to sea.'”
Sarah explains: “I spent my entire first pregnancy alone.”
Fergie added that “the marriage started to break down as early as one week after their wedding ceremony”.
Sarah, Duchess of York, paved the way for her exit from the royal family in 1992 when pictures emerged of a financial advisor sucking her toes.
In 2010 documentary “The Royal Wives of Windsor”, royal biographer, Penny Junor, said: “She was famously photographed with her financial advisor.
“And she was wearing a bikini in some garden in the south of France and he appeared to be sucking her toes.
“She was at Balmoral when those photographs came out. The family came down for breakfast and there was Fergie in this shocking scene and that was the end.”
Prince Philip has reportedly snubbed the Duchess of York ever since that fateful summer of 1992.
Charles Rae, a veteran royal correspondent, said: “She makes steam come out Philip’s ears, but she will behave like the cat that got the cream.”
In 1992 the Duke and Duchess of York finally announced their separation after reportedly spending a lot of time apart while Prince Andrew was on royal duties.
This was at a time when the royal family were “pulling itself apart”.
One by one, the marriages of the Queen’s three older children, starting with Princess Anne, had collapsed.
The Queen had famously called that year her “Annus horribilis”.
- Sarah Ferguson pictured dashing to palace for 'crisis summit with Prince Andrew'
- Sarah Ferguson sends a sweet hand-written note thanking a royal fan for her support after she wrote to praise the Duchess's hard work
- EXCLUSIVE: Princess Beatrice and her mother Sarah Ferguson tried to talk Prince Andrew OUT of giving BBC interview but he ignored their advice and listened to his chief of staff Amanda Thirsk instead say friends
- Princess Beatrice and Fergie ‘tried to talk Andrew out of’ disastrous BBC interview on paedo pal Epstein, friend claims
- How Prince Andrew scandal is affecting rest of Royal Family - from Queen to Meghan Markle
- Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie and their mother Sarah Ferguson attend financier Tim Hoare's memorial service as family braces for shamed Prince Andrew's showdown with Prince Charles
- More than half the British public want Prince Andrew BANNED from public events attended by the whole royal family including Trooping the Colour and Remembrance Sunday, new poll reveals
- A timeline of the royal family's most infamous feuds
- Sarah Ferguson and Princess Beatrice Square Up to Amanda Thirsk As Prince Andrew Blame Game Accelerates
- The Queen puts on brave face to open Royal Philatelic Society’s building as Prince Andrew scandal engulfs Royal Family
- Denise Welch claims she once stole toilet paper from her former friend Prince Andrew's home because it had the initials A&S on 'every sheet' - 'long after' his split with Sarah Ferguson
- Denise Welch reveals Prince Andrew had toilet paper embossed with his and Sarah’s initials on it after they split
- Most shocking royal scandals as Prince Andrew steps down - from toe sucking to nudity
- Princess Beatrice is a ‘brilliant step-mum to fiance Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi’s son and wants to start her own family soon’
- A royal triumph! Beaming Queen congratulates Gold Cup winner Frankie Dettori - as she enjoys her third day at Royal Ascot with Eugenie, Zara and Autumn
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: George Michael's family evict his lover Fadi Fawaz from the late Wham! star's £5million pad and let it for £75,000
- See which Loose Women star stole from the Palace
- Virginia Giuffre should be ‘drilled’ like Prince Andrew, Fergie’s friends say
- Police patrol streets of near-deserted Whaley Bridge by DRONE as evacuated locals fear break-ins and 32 locals refuse to leave their homes as desperate work continues to shore up crumbling dam
- Prince Andrew's Jeffrey Epstein woes are far from over despite stepping down from royal duties
Sarah Ferguson BOMBSHELL: How Fergie tried to ‘BREAK LOOSE’ from the royal family have 912 words, post on www.express.co.uk at March 1, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.