THOUSANDS of fans are lining the streets of Stoke to pay tribute to Gordon Banks, England’s 1966 World Cup winning goalkeeper. Former teammates and football icons will gather at Stoke Minster today to celebrate the life of the keeper legend after his death on February 12 at the age of 81. In a moving tribute, his coffin will be carried into the minster by the current number one goalkeepers of all three clubs he served during his incredible career. His funeral is taking place on the 47th anniversary of the club’s League Cup final victory over Chelsea in which he played. The service at Stoke Minister, which is by invitation only, will also be shown on a big screen at the Potters’ bet365 Stadium. Club captain Ryan Shawcross and team-mates Joe Allen, Bruno Martins Indi, Charlie Adam, Tom Edwards and Mame Diouf will form a guard of honour along with members of the 1972 side. Fans will have an opportunity to say their own farewells as the funeral cortege passes along a 10-mile route through the city. Sheffield-born Banks made 510 league appearances for Chesterfield, Leicester and Stoke, but it was on the international stage that he established himself as… Read full this story
- The Duke of Edinburgh: Sport pays tribute to Prince Philip following his death aged 99
- World Cup Weekend Recap: Knockout Stage Delivers Drama Overdose
- World Cup: Ecuador Must Press on After Death of Star Striker
- Dear America: Start Following MLS Now, Because World Cup
- Queen shares poignant picture of herself and Philip and pays tribute to her 'strength and stay'
- Spy poisoning: Boris Johnson agrees Vladimir Putin will 'use World Cup like Hitler used 1936 Olympics'
- Firsthand Proof That Brazil Is World Cup Soccer's True Home
- DMX dead at 50 one week after 'overdose' and heart attack: Family pay tribute to 'iconic' rapper 'who fought till the very end'
- England best XI voted for by fans sees Rooney snubbed for Shearer and Scholes ahead of Lampard and Gerrard
- England cricket team's glamorous WAGs - from Pilates instructor to famous singer
Gordon Banks funeral sees thousands line the streets to pay tribute to England’s 1966 World Cup winning goalkeeper have 330 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 4, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.