Sports An Australian broadcaster has been criticized for removing a picture of a female athlete from its Twitter account, after it was met with a flood of sexist and misogynist comments from online trolls. On Monday, Channel Seven posted a picture of Carlton Blues forward Tayla Harris kicking at goal against the Western Bulldogs in the Australian Football League Women’s Pride Game. The picture portrayed Harris’s distinctive kicking action, with her right leg outstretched while booting the ball. When the broadcaster posted it on its AFL Facebook page, it was captioned “Photo of the year.” Unfortunately, the post attracted a deluge of sexually inappropriate comments and on Tuesday evening Channel Seven opted to remove the picture, explaining its reason for doing so via a statement on Twitter. “The original purpose in publishing the image was to celebrate the power, athleticism and skills on show in Carlton’s thrilling win over the Western Bulldogs,” it said. “The image attracted a number of comments, some of which were inappropriate and offensive. As a consequence we have removed the image and the comments.” However, while the AFL’s official broadcaster aimed to placate a controversy, its decision to remove the picture only served to spark… Read full this story
- NFL Cheerleader Fired for Instagram Post Reveals Grossly Sexist, Antiquated Systems of Discrimination
- Sexist Heckling Interrupts Screening of The Nightingale at the Venice Film Festival
- 9 of Prince Harry's sweetest comments on fatherhood
- Female Cyclist Forced to Halt Race After She—Gasp!—Caught up With the Men
- The Complicated Story Of American Olympians And The Hijab
- Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka and the Devastating Double Standards Against Women in Sports
- Celebs Go Dating star Seb Morris claims Nadia Essex sent him 'strange message'
- Opening Ceremony of the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics: TV Review
- Director Denis Villeneuve Tries to Defend His Portrayal of Women in
- Ola Przybysz: The Polish Expat Pushing China's First-Ascent Envelope
Broadcaster Blasted for Caving in to Trolls after Removing Picture of Female Athlete That Received Sexist Comments have 310 words, post on www.newsweek.com at March 20, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.