CHELTENHAM, England (Reuters) – Al Boum Photo, ridden by Paul Townend, won the Cheltenham Gold Cup on Friday to give trainer Willie Mullins his first victory in the flagship race. The 12-1 shot beat Anibale Fly and Bristol De Mai as favourite Presenting Percy had a disappointing run. “It feels great,” Mullins, who had trained six runners-up in the race, told ITV Sport. “It’s good to get the Gold Cup finally, three of my other four runners were out before the circuit finished. But Al Boum Photo looked so relaxed and I knew he could jump. “I come here every year and start afresh, but I didn’t think I would have a good Cheltenham with how the winter had gone.” Earlier, 20-1 shot Pentland Hills won the Triumph Hurdle but the race was overshadowed by the death of favourite Sir Erec who had to be put down following a serious injury sustained after going over a fence. “There was no reason we could have predicted that injury,” David Sykes, the director of Equine Health and Welfare at the British Horseracing Authority, told ITV. “Beforehand, when he was checked, the vets reported he moved well and had no indication of lameness… Read full this story
- Let's Make Patrick Dempsey's 911 GT3 Cup Car Super Awesome
- Hot Belgian World Cup Fan Has Already Lost Her L'Oreal Contract
- Automatic Pour-Overs: Do They Make a Better Cup of Coffee?
- All the Olympics News Everyone Will Talk About at the Water Cooler Today
- Robot cameras snap splash shots in Rio
- You Can Learn A Lot About How Vehicles Work By Restoring A Remote Control Car
- Tech makes Olympic-size jump in Vancouver
- : “The ’99ers”
- The Racing Stories That Mattered Most In 2016
- Why Everyone Is Freaking Out About Driver Rankings: An Explainer
Al Boum Photo wins Cheltenham Gold Cup have 290 words, post on www.euronews.com at March 15, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.