(CNN)Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman arrived at a Long Island, New York, airport with tears in his eyes. The once-powerful leader of the Sinaloa drug cartel was accustomed to being flanked by bodyguards. But in January 2017, he was escorted by federal agents — one from Homeland Security Investigations and the other from the Drug Enforcement Administration. Guzman’s arrest in Mexico a year earlier and extradition to the United States was the culmination of a nearly 30-year investigation and hunt to bring him to justice. The criminal mastermind who once bragged about his ability to evade capture and even shopped a biopic about his life to filmmakers looked around in wide-eyed confusion as agents ushered him into a black SUV. Guzman arrives in New York in January 2017 after his extradition from Mexico under heavy escort by US special agents. “He was no longer in control. He lost control,” Ray Donovan, the special agent who spearheaded the 22-agency effort to capture Guzman, told CNN in an exclusive interview. “He’s outside of Mexico. He’s on US soil. And to me, that feeling of defeat that we felt when he escaped, that’s what he felt at that point — defeat.” Read More Guzman’s… Read full this story
- Rocket-Propelled Grenades Found In El Chapo's Hideout After Bloody Raid
- Sean Penn's Secret El Chapo Interview Wasn't Illegal But It Still Pissed People Off
- This Head-Cam Footage From The Raid On El Chapo's Hideout Is Fucking Intense
- Kate del Castillo: Sean Penn's El Chapo Piece Was 'Bullshit'
- Sean Penn Allegedly Banged His El Chapo Fixer
- El Chapo's Escape Is an Engineering Marvel, Embarrassment for Mexico
- Kate del Castillo Breaks Silence About El Chapo Interview
- 'El Chapo' Guzman's son said to have tweeted out his location
- Agents Of Mayhem: The Kotaku Review
- El-egg-tronics: how egg white could help us make transparent, flexible devices
What it was like to capture El Chapo, from the DEA agent who helped take him down have 299 words, post on edition.cnn.com at February 12, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.