Viggo Mortensen delved deep into the character of Tony Lip for Green Book
Viggo Mortensen changed himself completely to embody tough-talking Italian bouncer Tony Lip for his film Green Book .
In a PEOPLE exclusive behind-the-scenes look, Mortensen's portrayal of Lip caused awe in many of his colleagues. The film follows Dr. Don Shirley (Mahershala Ali), a world-class African American pianist who embarks on a concert tour in the Deep South while accompanied by Lip, who he hires as his bodyguard.
"When we wrote this script, my first thought was Viggo Mortensen," Peter Farrelly, who co-wrote the script and directed the film, said.
Mortensen's costar Linda Cardellini, who plays Lip's wife Dolores, revealed acting opposite the star was easy.
"I remember coming in and reading with Viggo and you can't see the acting at all," she said. "You just feel like you're in the story."
Executive producer Octavia Spencer said Mortensen "embodied [Lip] in such a beautiful way."
His costar, Mahershala Ali, also agreed, saying, "Viggo has been brilliant."
"You'd be hard pressed to find another actor who pays that type of attention to detail," Ali added.
"I was attracted to playing Tony in part because it was a different kind of character, but the main thing I liked about him was his heart," Mortensen revealed.
Both Ali and Mortensen have been nominated for Oscars for their roles as Dr. Don Shirley and Lip, respectively.
Green Book will be released on Digital 2/19 and Blu-ray March 12.
- ‘Green Book’ Logs $300M+ At Worldwide Box Office; Tops $70M In China
- Oscars secret ballot: Academy members get shady on 'embarrassing,' 'genius' films in the race
- Independent Spirit Awards 2019 winners include Oscars favourite Glenn Close
- Barry and Bob’s Burgers lead the way in Writers Guild Of America nominations with three apiece
- Comic Book Reviews for This Week: 2/26/2020
- The clean, green and slightly bonkers world of CBeebies
- The Latest: ‘Moonlight’ wins best picture Academy Award
- Tracy Morgan jokes he's 'set for life' as he pokes fun at his near-fatal car wreck... after dapper arrival at SAGs with wife Megan Wollover
- From the Hulk to HBO, Mark Ruffalo Re-Assembles as a Producer
- Lord Of The Rings Visual Effects Reels Are Now On YouTube, Watch Them Here
- Lord Of The Rings Visual Effects Reels Have Vanished From YouTube
- ‘Black Panther’ wins top honor at SAG Awards, ‘Maisel’ soars
- Timothy Brown, NFL star and 'M*A*S*H' actor, dead at 82
- “Mrs. America” And The Prestige Of Playing Right-Wing White Women
- ‘Creed’ Is the Movie ‘Rocky’ Fans Have Been Waiting For
- Anna Kendrick Hilariously Says She 'Just Remembered' She Was in Twilight
- Cast Catch Up: 'Black Panther'
- Slinky in satin! Zendaya brightens up the orange carpet in a bronze dress at the 2017 Kids' Choice Awards
- Melody and Mischief: How Adam Schlesinger Built a Career Like No Other Songwriter
- Acclaimed Playwright Terrence McNally Dies At 81 Of Complications From Coronavirus
See How Viggo Mortensen Transformed Into His Oscar-Nominated Role of Tony Lip in Green Book have 552 words, post on people.com at February 20, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.