Eyewitness footage posted to social media late on Tuesday showed billowing smoke and large flames from a large fire on Saddleworth Moor.
“I think this is possibly one of the biggest fires I’ve seen in West Yorkshire for a wildfire and because it’s running through heather, it really does have a high flame front because it’s so combustible,” said station commander Laura Boocock.
“It’s really quite dramatic to see but it’s nothing we can’t deal with.”
Last year, Greater Manchester Police declared a moorland fire a “major incident” after dozens of local residents were evacuated from homes.
- Ronnie wants Moore from Gibson
- Billick on NFC South, West draft needs
- West Ham United 1-1 Everton
- Hearts transfer ban extended
- Lucas close to full fitness
- Stockdale back with Fulham
- Steelmen boss keeps his focus
- Swindon v Tranmere preview
- Lennon relishing Juve return
- RB Martin: Boise State’s ‘physical freak’
- Expert mock drafts indicate no clear pick for Lions
- Rams Review: Week 3
- Watch out for NFL’s breakout candidates
- Combine aftershocks jostle mock draft
- Ultimate seven-round mock draft
- Post-Senior Bowl NFL mock draft
- Draft rankings preview: D/ST
- Is Richardson worthy of a top-five pick?
- NFL mock draft features new-look top five
- Pick-by-pick: First-round mock draft
Firefighters tackle huge blaze on West Yorkshire moors have 193 words, post on www.euronews.com at February 27, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.