New York — After nearly three months of testimony and six days of deliberation about a vast drug-smuggling conspiracy steeped in violence, a jury has convicted infamous Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman in his criminal conspiracy and drug trafficking trial. Guzman was convicted on all counts. The jury heard extensive testimony about Guzman’s rise to power as the head of the Sinaloa cartel in the high-profile trial before reaching the verdict Tuesday. Prosecutors said he’s responsible for smuggling at least 200 tons of cocaine into the United States and a wave of killings in turf wars with other cartels. The three-month trial packed with Hollywood-style tales of grisly killings, political payoffs, cocaine hidden in jalapeno cans, jewel-encrusted guns and a naked escape with his mistress through a tunnel.Guzman showed no visible sign of emotion as the verdict was announced, reports CBS News’ Cassandra Gauthier.Before being escorted out of the courtroom, Guzman exchanged glances with his wife, Emma Coronel Aispuro, who was seated in the courtroom gallery. He gestured and mouthed something to her. He then shook the hands of his defense attorneys.U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, Richard Donoghue, said he expects the conviction will bring… Read full this story
- El Chapo Cries ‘There Was No Justice’ While Being Sentenced to Life in Prison
- El Chapo Convicted in U.S., Faces Life in Prison
- El Chapo's daughter has lavish wedding complete with armoured cars and 'hitmen'
- El Chapo on the Couch: Inside a Drug Lord's Therapy Sessions
- An associate of the drug cartel once run by El Chapo has been charged with participating in an international drug conspiracy
- El Chapo’s daughter Alejandrina Guzman marries nephew of ‘drug kingpin’ in Mexico
- Mexico’s Biggest Drug Lord Escapes From Prison
- El Chapo's daughter marries cartel insider in private Mass, locking down Mexican cathedral
- El Chapo Says Extradition to US Was Illegal, Prison Conditions ‘Torture’
- Two Jurors Prevented a Guilty Verdict in Bill Cosby's Trial
"El Chapo" verdict: Notorious drug lord convicted in U.S. trial have 324 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at February 12, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.