click to enlarge Steve Neavling Chief James Craig. Detroit police commissioner Willie Burton is calling on Chief James Craig to resign as deputy mayor and focus on reducing slow police response times. And if Craig, who is the acting mayor this week while Mayor Duggan is out of town, can’t “curb violent crime” and reduce police response times by next year, “let’s get someone who can do the damn job,” Burton tells Metro Times. click to enlarge City of Detroit Police Commissioner Willie Burton Burton singled out Craig during a Board of Police Commissioners meeting on Jan. 31 following a series of stories published by Deadline Detroit and Motor City Muckraker that showed police response times were increasing and were far higher than the chief was acknowledging. “For years, Detroit residents have expressed their concerns pertaining to slow response times by the Detroit police,” Burton said at the meeting. “We often hear Detroiters shouting that there are two Detroits, and now the statistics compiled and presented by (the stories) support this characterization.” Chief Craig disputed the series’ findings in an interview with The Detroit News but did not specify what was wrong. As the co-author of the series with Charlie… Read full this story
- Chief: Probe finds racially divided Detroit police precinct
- Ex-police commissioner gets 10 months on tax charges
- May insists police cuts have 'no direct correlation' to knife crime
- New deputy mayor predicts post-Brexit surge in race hate
- Detroit police: overall violent crime reduced by 2%
- Warren deputy police commissioner won't be charged in alleged assault
- William Gross named Boston police commissioner as William Evans retires for Boston College post
- Boston Police Commissioner William Gross to receive honorary doctorate from Salem State
- JPD Chief to City Council: 'The violent crime in Jackson is guns. We cannot police guns.'
- Ex-Police Official Accuses Two Duterte Associates of Drug Crimes
Detroit police commissioner: Chief Craig must resign as deputy mayor and focus on crime have 301 words, post on www.metrotimes.com at February 6, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.